Sunday, July 08, 2007

Another hot one. It peaked out at 97 + according to the thermometers we have on the deck.
Thank heaven's for an air conditioned house.

How EVER did we get by without air years ago. But we did. I remember as a child going to bed on hot humid nights with all the windows open, lying on top of the covers praying for a breeze. We must have slept eventually but I remember feeling sticky and uncomfortable those nights.

Then if there would be a storm, it would sometimes help, but sometimes get so humid that it was almost worse. I remember one summer that Bret, Bart and I were visiting from California. A huge storm came up. Thunder and lightening all around us. There are not storms like that in California. I casually asked Mom if we should be turning off the TV. Bret asked why and we told him that sometimes lightening can come through appliances into the house. (It can too. It happened to Nora and Leif not too many years ago in Texas. They had to replace several appliances. ) Mom said that she thought we could wait and see. So a couple of minutes later, Bret suggested that we go to bed.

The boys were supposed to be sleeping in a different room than I was. BUT suddenly, I had a hot little boy on either side of me. As thunder boomed and lightening flashed they would occasionally ask, obviously scared how close it was. I was all prickly and hot but finally got to sleep. I wonder if they even remember that.

We are supposed to get rain tonight but I am not holding my breath.

I worked the 100 bird Lewis shoot for about three hours at Rhine this morning and afternoon. Got home about 2 and just have been puttering. I am glad the day is almost over. Without my nap, I am a bit tired.

Hope you all have a wonderful week. We are busy. Three medical appointments.

Take care

Mary

No comments: