Saturday, June 16, 2007

It was HOT today. When Chelsea and I walked it was still pleasant but warmed up quickly thereafter.

At about 9 I went over to the Hunters Glen property and spent three hours on the bushes. They needed to be trimmed so badly so that the house looks its best. I shaped the privot type hedge at the corner of the house, the "tree" that was planted as a bush and grows under the locust tree and cut the dead lilacs off of the Korean Lilac that grows under the garage window. I told Dick that if I had known that cutting it back like he did last year would produce that much flowering we would have done it every year.

I had three bags of cuttings plus the bag I had here to take to the city lot. I was exhausted but feel good that it is done for a bit. I will have to go out again in the next week to tidy up the junipers.

When I got home, we had lunch, I showered and then I lay down for a nap. I got to sleep but then heard noises so I got up and found that Dick's desk chair had broken. He had been sleeping in it an apparently twisted wrong or it was just weakened and snapped. So we have a captain's chair in until we figure out what we can do to replace it.

Father's Day has started early for Dick. While I was out with Chelsea, a floral delivery arrived. It is an absolutely beautiful yellow arrangement of lilies and roses in a really pretty pitcher that will be placed up on the cupboard above the pantry along with two other pretty pitchers that need a friend.

Then - Jim and Michelle took us to Antoinette's for a Father's Day dinner. Altogether pleasant. A good meal AND good company. It was a good "catch up" as we see each other so seldom with them working in the Milwaukee area and us running all over the county for appointments.

Now a quiet evening.

I think I told you that Barbara, the kid's mother, is doing better and is much more alert and responsive.

However, please pray for our son in law, Bill Smith. His mother died today in California. I am sure Bill and Leslie will appreciate your prayers and comforting thoughts.

Tomorrow will be Mass at 8AM and I work at Rhine from 12 to 4. I will be working with Bobbie so that will make it fun.

Love.

Mary

Here is the first part of an email I received. I may have started it before but I know that I didn't finish it.

1 - First Important Lesson - Cleaning Lady.
During my second month of college, our professor
gave us a pop quiz. I was a conscientious student
and had breezed through the questions until I read
the last one:
"What is the first name of the woman who cleans the school?"
Surely this was some kind of joke. I had seen the
cleaning woman several times. She was tall,
dark-haired and in her 50s, but how would I know her name?
I handed in my paper, leaving the last question
blank. Just before class ended, one student asked if
the last question would count toward our quiz grade.
"Absolutely," said the professor. "In your careers,
you will meet many people. All are significant. They
deserve your attention and care, even if all you do
is smile and say "hello."
I've never forgotten that lesson. I also learned her
name was Dorothy.

No comments: