Friday, June 29, 2007

It was almost cold when Chelsea and I went for our walk this morning. Of course, the little bitch, woke me up at 5:30AM. It was 46 when we walked.

Dick was sleeping. Actually, Dick had the best night of sleep that he has had in probably a year or more. I got up as soon as the girl started bugging me so as not to wake him and figured that Dick would be awake when we got back. But he wasn't.

I let him sleep until almost 7:30PM when I HAD to get him up because we had to be in Sheboygan for his blood test. The thinness one. His count was perfect 260 it is supposed to be between 200 and 300. We have to go back next week anyway because of the antibiotics that he is taking. We have to see the meds throw it off.

While we were in town, we picked up two more pair of the thigh length stockings for him.

When we got home I had a couple of hours before I picked Mom up for her eye test. We stopped at my cousin Brian's house on the way there to get my ring and the chains that I had him repair. I always have trouble finding their house. But we finally did and Mom got to visit a bit with Brian. Then we went to Dr. Larson's for her yearly eye test. She passed with flying colors and unless there is some change that she notices doesn't have to go back for another year. Boy was she glad. We found out that actually her sight has improved somewhat since she had the cataract surgery. I mean in addition to the immediate improvement.

When I got home, I spent the afternoon watering plants and gardens and getting Dick's legs massaged and treated.

Mom and I talked about the books that I got her in Galena (one on Victorian Entertaining and one on Victorian Etiquette.) They had such strict rules for these times, especially the upper classes. Then Mom and I started remembering that we too had lots of rules of dress and etiquette when I was growing up and SURELY when she was. When I was young, a woman would never leave the house socially or for business (including shopping) without a clean dress AND a hat. When I was young and even past high school, we always wore dresses to church AND we wore a hat AND we wore gloves that matched the outfit. When I moved out to California I still had several pairs of gloves and hats. They were already becoming much more liberal.

Then Mom remembered a time when Grandpa sent Uncle Noel to the feed barn for a bag of feed. He tied it onto the running board (remember them) and it fell as they went around a corner, split and spread all over the road. They picked it up the best they could and went home. Later, someone who saw it told Grandpa that "Noel was going pretty fast." Grandpa did not take kindly to criticism of his kids and told the man "Maybe he was in a hurry.'

Have a Nice weekend. Pray for rain.

Maybe Oklahoma and Texas could send us some. I am sure they would LOVE to.

Mary

No comments: