Saturday, May 19, 2007

Today was the first day of the workshop at Kohler Art Center with Ellen Kort. The morning started as usual with an early walk for Chelsea and me. Then I fixed breakfast and puttered on the computer. Actually it became more than a putter because I managed to get down the rough start of a poem that came to my mind on the walk.

I arrived at KAC at 10AM for the workshop. When they were considering canceling, they were short two and they actually got three so we did have a security person. The group are all women and are all interesting people. Two came from Port Washington. We all introduced ourselves and then Ellen began her teaching. She spoke for a while, then we were taken on a short tour of parts of the museum by Lisa Vejos, a member of the staff. We then went outside into the gardens around the museum itself for a session of writing haikus (or really any short poem) on what we observed or felt out there. We then reconvened and shared some of our poems.

Here is one of mine:

Amid the daffodils
And flowering white crab trees
Dwelt a dandelion.

The writing and sharing IS the most fun part. Putting into practice what she talks about.

We then had lunch (I had a nummy Caesar wrap and a cookie) and shortly after that headed to the James Tellen Sculpture Garden in Black River. I did not even know that this existed. It is a garden with cement (at least I think they are cement) sculptures arranged along a pathway through the property. It is fun. I must take Dick there sometime. Some of the sculptures are quite good and they are all interesting. We spent some time wandering that path and writing whatever struck us there too. I came up with a couple of writings there too. Only one related to the sculptures, I will share that with you too.

Standing Stones
Built by God or man
Would knowing the builder
Change the beauty
Standing Stones.

Then we had some more words of wisdom, teaching and suggestions from Ellen before we scattered for the evening. Tomorrow we meet back at the Art Center at 10AM. So I will go to the 8AM Mass and hurry home to fix a quick breakfast for us.

Dick is going to take me out for dinner tomorrow night and for every meal on Monday for my birthday. Isn't that a fun idea.

Tell you more tomorrow. Today was beautiful. Tomorrow is iffier as far as the weather. Sure glad we did most of our outdoor stuff today. Tomorrow we are going to make an embellished personal keepsake book. Dick is sure impressed with that.

Love

Mary

No comments: