Saturday, February 10, 2007

One more day done. This morning took a LONG time. They were busy and didn't get to us right away. The good thing for me was that we didn't have to be there until 8:00AM which meant that I could sleep a bit later. As a matter of fact, it was 6:15AM before I got up. I am still really tired tonight.

When we got home this morning Dick actually ate scrambled eggs and toast. That was good but we ate so late that he did not have lunch. I am really having trouble getting him to eat enough "carbs". He has NO appetite.

Today was the big 50th event for the Sheboygan County Writers at Mead. It went very well. We had quite a few people attend which was really gratifying. The members had each contributed a piece to be printed in a memorial book that we called A Collection of Words Wit and Wisdom. I contributed my poem called The Knockeen Dolmen that won the prize at Irishfest a few years ago. The program started at 1:00. We, in turn as they appeared in the book, read our pieces. The program was well received. Members had brought cookies and bars (I brought Kahlua Brownies.) which we served with tea and coffee. I left at 3:15 to get home to Dick. They were starting a little more reading and music by Karen Howland and Don Cooper, two of our members, who, independently, do music to their poems in Karen's case or write lyrics in Don's case as I left. We are talking of doing it again.

Tonight we had to go in to Sheboygan Memorial for Dick's intravenous. We got a light meal in the cafeteria. We have to go only one more time to Sheboygan. We finish next Friday with any luck at all and can do all the rest in Plymouth. We got home at about 8:15. I am tired.

Got a call from Barb Wollner, one of my Plymouth lunch buddies. Our friend and coworker Karen Knapp died this morning. A valiant battle with cancer. She beat breast cancer, we believed. But on Jan 30, she was told that it was back, in the marrow and everywhere. And today she is gone. Such a loss for her husband and daughters. I am glad that she did not suffer long. As Barb said, the remission from the breast cancer gave them a bonus year or two that they would not have had. I am sure they appreciated those days and weeks. Karen was a joy. Pray for her and her family.

"Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat." Alex Levine.

or if you insist on chewing and insist on the "other" essential food group, have a Sheboygan Brat sandwich. You have your meat group (the brat), your starch ( the hard roll), your vegetable (the pickle and onion) and your fat ( the butter on the bun.)

Have both - life is short.

Mary

No comments: