Sunday, January 21, 2007

I'm back.

It was a lovely weekend. We left shortly after noon and arrived at the Colonial Gardens at about 3:00PM. We rested for a while and then went to the Inn at Cedar Crossing for dinner at about 5:00 so we could spend an evening just resting.

The meal was very good. I ordered Islandic cod with mashed parsnips and a great sauce. It was quite nummy. Dick kind of wrinkled his nose at the parsnips but as he had a lake perch dinner, he did not complain.

I used the bubbly tub three times this weekend, Friday and Saturday evenings and Sunday morning just before we left. I hope that this relaxes my muscles for quite some time. Chelsea is already being a pest, but her schedule was way off while we were gone. Jim and Michelle spent time with her here and took her to their house a couple of times but of course, when Mom and Dad are gone, it is just not the same schedule and we know that old critters like their schedules.

Saturday morning we got up at about 7 or so. Breakfast, a bread pudding with fruit, juice, and Canadian Bacon with fresh coffee was at the door at 8:AM on the dot. We ate and then went for a drive. We ended up at the Door Peninsula Winery where we went on a tour and enjoyed a wine tasting. Then we bought some wine and fudge and started back. We stopped at a restaurant called Kick for lunch. They have (or at least had that day) great soups. I had a nice chai tea with a peasant lunch of broccoli cheese soup with a fresh wheat roll. Dick had soup and a coke.

We went back to the B&B for a rest. I finished my Morgan Llywelyn book 1972 over the weekend and she better be "pert near" done with the next in the series as she left this one with a REAL cliffhanger and I can't wait for the next chapter. I will put in a quote that I loved that I thought was beautiful. This (fictionally of course) occurred during a 1968 peace march in Northern Ireland

A grandmother with thinning white hair and most of her front teeth missing tugged at Barry's elbow. Her face was a road map of hard times. "Will you link with an old women?"

He turned and smiled down at her. A warm,slow, lover's smile, as if the two of them were all alone and she was the most beautiful girl in the world. "There aren't any old women here," he said gently. "But I'll be proud to link with you."

As he tucked her arm through his, the years fell away from her face.

From 1972, chapter 32 by Morgan Llewlyn

Boy, can she write. God grant me that gift.

I went to the 5:00PM mass at St. Joseph's and found out the Green Bay diocese is consolidating and collaborating as much as the Milwaukee Archdiocese is and that they are losing priests as fast too.

We went to dinner at the Sage. I had quail. It was a tough choice as they had fresh tuna also but I figured the chance to have quail again soon was next to none and I was not disappointed.

We left Sturgeon Bay at about 10 and had easy traveling until we hit the Manitowoc line where we ran into the winter storm. I was rough the rest of the way and by the time we got to Sheboygan County it was slippery as heck. We DID stop at Mother's to wish her Happy Birthday and drop off her card and a bottle of Door Peninsula Wine. She was pleased. Later, she called me and mentioned that Eileen and Fred had also made it by with a birthday cake. I know Jeff was there on Saturday.

It was good to get home to our own place though we sure enjoyed the time away. Chelsea was so glad to see us. We wonder what goes through her little heart when we are gone, especially overnight. Poor little creature and there is no way to explain to her. At least she had Jim and Michelle to take her out and to visit and take her to their place once or twice.

She will be thirteen in March. A real old lady. She sleeps a lot more now.

Well that is a rundown of the weekend. It was great to be away for a couple of days. I GUESS I am ready for this next week.

Hope you are and yours is wonderful.

Love

Mary


No comments: