Monday, August 21, 2006

The weekend was truely a wonderful break for me. Irish Fest was vibrant and full of music and fun as usual.

On Saturday, I drove to Sussex to pick up Suzi, Dick's niece, at her and her mother Hazel's home. Suzi went to the Fest with me on Saturday. I had passes that were given to me by Dan Vircks, who organizes the song circle which I stumbled on last year. So Suzi and I got in free on Saturday. We delivered my lavender scones and Irish brown bread to the bakery area and then wandered through the shops, picked up a spinach roll for lunch and went TO the song circle and SANG.

It is fun. Whoever wants too can join the circle and they just go around and take turns singing songs. It reminds me of the song sessions we used to have when I was young and when Dad was still around.

Then we went back to the bakery contest to see if I won. I didn't. I figure they just don't know good bakery. I am sure enjoying what I left at home. I LOVE brown bread and my recipe tastes just like I remember eating in Ireland.

I also connected with my friend Maureen Smith from Chicago. We visited and made arrangements to meet again on Sunday.

I also ate a lot. I had a scone and and Irish coffee and then a cheese and bacon baked potato. Nummy Nummy.

We spent the afternoon shopping and listening to the musicians. We saw the Kinsella Acacemy Dancers, who are going to be dancing at our Celic Faire, and they are marvelous. I am so relieved. Their teacher is a many time winner of competiions in the Unites States and in Ireland, even more than Michael Flatley.

We saw Tommy Makem, Gaelic Storm and Grada in the evening.


Sunday, I got up early and got to the grounds at 8:45 so that I could get to the Mass in the Ampitheatre. Archbishop Dolan was the celebrant this year. He gives a great sermon. He told about a trip he just got back from - to Ireland. On one tour they sent to a chapel or something featuring Blessed Matt Talbot, who was an alchoholic in Ireland, who attained sobriety and set up programs to help other alchoholics - a kind of pre 12 step program. Archbishop Dolan said that he didn't know who planned the tour but they went right from there to the Jamison Distillery. I don't know, sounds very Irish to me.

Then I ate breakfast and met Maureen again. I was wearing my Celtic Women tartan scarf, so Maureen took a picture of me in it. We like to feature pictures in the newsletter, called "Where in the World is the Celtic Women Tartan". As she was taking the picture Donna, Jessie and Becky wandered by so we visited for a few, they were heading to a concert at the Leinie Rock Stage.

I gave Maureen five of my books to put on their table at the Chicago Irish Fest. Wish me luck.

Then I finished off the day until 6PM moving from stage to stage to enjoy a few songs by The Irish Rovers, Lamand, Tom Sweeney and a few others. There is REALLY WAY too much. I was home by 7:30 but am still exhausted.

I was mildly busy today too. Bible Study this morning and a Celtic Faire meeing tonight.

Tomorrow, I get to stay home ALL day. We will bottle wine, pack and I will do some computer jobs that need to be finished.


The good Lord didn't create anything
without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.


Mary

No comments: