Tuesday, August 22, 2006

I am so tired. I could not nap today. And I have been doing STUFF since 6:30AM.

Chelsea and I had a nice walk. Then I packed a couple of boxes, wrote an article for two, made a few phone calls, did a bit of sewing, cooked a couple of meals and I am NOW very tired. It is really too early to go to bed, but I just might have to.

I want to share a story that my Mother told me yesterday.

First I must give you the set up or the background of the story. When I was a little girl, and perhaps for many years before, when we had familiy gatherings, there was always singing. I may have mentioned this to you before.


During picnics or parties, at some point someone would start singing. We did not have accompanyment with this singing. Someone would just start singing. Then, maybe a couple of guys or maybe a quartet would sing another song and then someone would ask for a special song from somebody there. Some of my best memories are of my Grandpa Bowser, my Dad, my Uncles and some cousins singing in the dusk as a picnic or party wore down.

Anyway, my Dad loved to sing. In case you don't know, his name was Francis David Deeley. He was known all his life as Hutz. A name given to him by his brother, George, who could not or would not pronounce Francis. Daddy died 14 years ago.

Another of the singers was Uncle Leo Ayers. Uncle Leo was a musician and a bandleader. He was married to Aunt Kathleen, my Mother's sister and my godmother. Most of you won't know but he was well known around here as a bandleader. His band was called Leo Ayers and the Millionaires. Uncle Leo died 32 years ago of cancer

Now, for the story. A couple of year ago, Uncle Roman, one of my Mother's brothers and a WWII Airforce veteran, was dying. He was mostly in an state of rest, not responding to too much but very peaceful.

Cousin Andrea, Uncle Leo's daughter, came to visit him during his last days. He did not really respond to much, but Uncle Roman's wife, Mary Ann, a real lady and a treasure, asked Andrea, who is an accomplished musician in her own right, to sing him a song.

Andrea thought that this would be a good idea and chose an old song, something like Shine on Harvest Moon, or Blue Hawaii or some thing like that.

When she finished the song, Uncle Roman opened his eyes, sat up in the bed and said, "Hutz - Leo" and laid back down contented and calm.

Uncle Roman joined my Dad and Leo not too long after this event. I know they were waiting at the gates of heaven, ready to have him join them in the old songs.

Love

Mary

No comments: