Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy 4th of July! Our country's birthday. We are 230 years old now. It seems like a long time but we still need to realize that compared to many nations we are only a youngster. We are a melting pot, a nation of "mongrels" (that was a great description from a Bill Murray movie called Stripes). We are a mish mosh of ethnic diversity that is always struggling to be fair to everybody.

Fairness, however, does not mean that Everybody can Never be offended. Sometimes we all have to accept that each citizen in our hodge podge of a nation has a RIGHT to believe (or not believe) differently. That if someone chooses to thank or praise God in a public place, it is not necessarily an affront to someone else who does not believe in God. I say "necessarily" because there are always flaunters in our world as well as those who are offended by everything.

We also, as a nation, need to accept the fact that, just as the popular axiom goes,"I wish I was still 16 and knew all the answers." We are a teenager amoung nations and do NOT have the ability to mold the world to our way of thinking. We can only, as the richest nation in the world, try to be generous and as helpful in diplomatic ways and in any other way we can. We are a generous, loving and joyful people. Let us share THESE things.

We went to Randy and Donna's for a fry. What good food and what good company. Michelle got to meet LOTS of the Deeleys. She was a big hit. Everybody is excited about the wedding on October 21. She will meet most of the rest at the Ball Game in August. That is really going to be a busy week.

Donna made a really great flag cake. White chocolate with strawberry stripes and blueberry stars. I fixed calico beans but used chorizo instead of hamburger and were they ever good. We still have a meal or two left.

Did I tell you that I made dill bread? I had made some yogurt cheese (again) I still have not mastered a real good taste mixture, but in the process, I checked for uses for the whey that drains off of the yogurt and found a bread that called for the yogurt cheese AND the whey. It also has fresh chopped onions and dill in it and is VERY good.

At 9:30 I plan on going out on the deck to watch some fireworks for a bit. Poor Chelsea. Well, this will be the worst of it though I am sure there will be some straggling fireworks for at least a week.

Tomorrow, we hope to hear from Bill Cain with some condo info and I am going out to Rhine to shoot my last round for the Summer Morning League.

Have a good rest of the week. If you are working, I am sure the short week is welcomed. At least the weather was beyond beautiful today for United States of America's big birthday bash.

Love

Mary

No comments: