Sunday, April 09, 2006

What a satisfying day.

It was quite pleasant. Mid 50's after a brisk walk this morning in 31 degree temps. But the sun shone and there was no wind. I went out to shoot this afternoon. I shot three league targets.

After the first one, I wondered if I made a big mistake. I had either four or five non scoring shots. My mind has blanked it out. But the next two, I adjusted and they were much better. That really bad one will bring my average way down, but hopefully I can bring it up again.

Tonight, Dick and I went to the Kohler Memorial Theater in their high school and saw, Hal Holbrook as Mark Twain. I cannot tell you how enjoyable it was. He is a master. The delight in seeing him perform and on top of that performing a a role that he has been doing and refining since 1954 was enjoyed by the whole audience. Even the program was amusing. As and example, this was in the program listings. "MUSIC: A trombone player was engaged, but is unreliable and should not be expected." Dick says that they have narrowed the seats in that auditorium, so we will not go back there, BUT it was well worth finding that out with such a great show. It took the discomfort ALMOST out of the sitting.

He told a story about Limburger Cheese, a mix up with a box of rifles and a body and a very hot railroad car. Limburger Cheese reminded me of two incidents in my own life.

My Grandma Deeley (along with Mother) introduced me to the wonders of cheese. I used to go to join Grandma for morning Mass during the summers and then go home with her for breakfast. We always had cheese and bread. Homemade of course. She introduced me to many different and exotic varieties of cheese. Once she mentioned giving me some Limburger and I still remember Aunt Helen absolutely forbidding it.

The other story involves, my ex husband's dear Aunts, Ruth and Lib (short for Elizabeth.) They used to get together occasionally JUST to eat Limburger. They always said that the trick was to hold your breath and your nose until you managed to get the first bite down. Then you could enjoy it. Sounds like a lot of trouble to me. There are plently of cheeses that don't involve tricking your brain and taste buds.

My Uncle George always sent a cheese box with lots of different cheese varieties in it. My boys learned to love cheese from me and to experiment from those boxes. When Bart and I moved to Minnesota, the thing I missed most until I could get my kitchen set up was having a piece of cheese and a cracker while I was preparing dinner. Bart too.


Have a wonderful week. It is supposed to get up into the 60s for us.

Love

Mary

No comments: