Wednesday, April 05, 2006

It was a beautiful day. Up in the 50s. Dick said that this is supposed to be the warmest day of the week. That is a disappointment but we need to take them when we get them. This morning when Chelsea and I started on our walk, we heard a Phoebe singing his heart out right from the tree next to the walk. Such a big noise from such a small creature.

I had lunch with a friend today. Suzi lost her husband six months ago. I went to see Sam a couple of times when he was dying. He wanted company and I am good at that. I waited a few months before calling Suzi because it seems to me that everybody is always there and wanting to visit right after yhou lose someone but after a while they go on with their lives and forget. That is when you need someone. So we had a good visit. I will call her again in a month or so.

Tomorrow, we have to take Jim to work and the Elantra to the body shop to have the bumper fixed. I did tell you that Jim had a little fender bender on the way home one evening last week, didn't I? Noone was hurt at all but of course we have to get the car fixed. They say that it will not be over a day and a half. Hopefully it will be done tomorrow. We are grocery shopping tomorrow too. I still have to get my list together.

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I thought that the above is as pertinant today as it was 100 years ago.

Mid week and on to the weekend.

Love

Mary

No comments: