Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Ash Wednesday today. I fasted and did not eat meat. The only difficult thing about fasting is remembering not to snack between meals. I really don't eat much between meals but do like an orange at late morning and often enjoy a few peanuts or a cracker and cheese in late afternoon.

I joined Mary Bainbridge at the sewing basket to choose the fabric for the group quilt that we are going to make for Celtic Fair again. We picked out a really nice batik looking fabric in golds and greens and plumbs and a green for the sashing. I bought a nice plum fat quarter to add to my block.

Tonight I went to services. The choir sang. I remember that when I was a kid, while I was still in public school before St. Mary School was built, we used to get ashes in the morning and proudly wear them to school being very careful not to wash them off all day. The Catholics really stood out. Probably today we would be kicked out of school for "forcing our religion" on everyone.

I walked Mother over to church and back tonight as she doesn't like to walk in the dark AND it was starting to rain. It may freeze by morning. They are predicting freezing rain and snow. Mom's legs are getting a bit weak anyway. I guess after 90 years they have a right.

Now we have 6 weeks until Easter. I always liked Easter. It was fun dying the eggs and just fixing the baskets for the boys. I am glad that I still get to do a bit of it for Dick andJim. Now that I get eggs from the egg farm, I will just dy a few white ones. I found out that if you boil them in tumeric they come out the most beautiful yellow. Yellow, brown and if I save them the green aracana eggs will make a pretty basket.

Tomorrow we shop. Hope the roads aren't too slippery.

Be safe

Remember the Jesus never promised that it would be easy, he only said that it would be worth it.



Mary

No comments: