Sunday, September 18, 2005

Today was a pleasant day. I slept like the dead last night but woke up at 6:00AM. My usual time. Chelsea was still sleeping when I got up so I missed an opportunity to be a slug-a-bed. Once I am up, she does not go back to sleep.

I went to the 10:30AM mass this morning. A friend of Beth, the choir director, who is a violinist joined us. So, we sang Pachebel's Canon of Praise which I pretty much had to sight read because I was in Washington on Thursday night when we practiced. A pretty sparse choir. About half our numbers were gone or working.

Jim and I went shooting at Rhine today. I shot a 16 in trap. Not the greatest but after only getting two on each of the first two stations, I got four on the last three, so at least I improved. The same thing with the pistol. I shot three targets and each one improved on the last.

Packers lost. Ick. Two in a row, not a good beginning.

I still haven't had a chance to look at the pictures that we took on our trip, but when I do, I will share a couple on this blog.

I hope the pictures of the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier turned out. We learned so much about the guards that serve there. They are a very elite group and make a committment far beyond the normal soldier.

If chosen, a soldier commits to an two year assignment, six months of training and eighteen months guarding the tomb. One soldier marches before the tombs 24/7 and they have done so since 1937. The changing of the guard happens every half hour during daylight hours in the summer months, every hour during the night and every hour in the winter daylight hours. Upon qualification, they receive a special wreath pin that they are entitled to wear for the rest of their lives.

Any soldier who requests this assignment cannot have a waistsize of more than 30 inches. During their six months training, the soldier cannot speak.

They take a vow never to drink alcoholic beverages and also vow never to swear. This is a lifetime vow and if they break their vow at any time, their pin will be taken away and they will have their name removed from the board below the tombs. (This is what the guide on the tram said, but the web site, says that this is a rumor.) Behavior that reflects badly on this elite corp, can result in removal and the taking back of the wreath pin.

The guard is strictly carried out and a thing of precision and reverence. All revolves around the number 21- the maximum gun salute given to any soldier or great person. They make 21 steps in front of the tomb. At each end they face the tomb and pause for 21 seconds. This is repeated during the entire shift.

We were priviledged to see the changing of the guard and I recommend it as part of any tour of the D. C. area.

We also saw the Kennedy tomb at Arlington. What a privilege.

That is all for today.

We may get some rain tomorrow. The storm that occured while we were gone, surely helped but the water table is WAY low. Everything actually looks pretty green.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself. (from an e-mail I received.)

Joy all week

Mary

No comments: