Sunday, July 31, 2005

Germanfest is over. It was HOT down there, though an occasional breeze from the big pond made it managable if one stayed out of the direct sun.

The Mass was lovely. The presiding minister is a German priest who ministers to the German community in Philidelphia. He was charming. He gave his serman in German and then another priest translated for those of us who are German illiterate. The singing went fine, I only feel that I blew two of the 10 songs we sang and only parts of them. The partipating members from our Blessed Trinity Choir are going to sing a couple of the pieces next Sunday at the 10:30AM mass. They are so pretty and a far cry from the polka masses that I have attended here.

The food is always so good at Germanfest. I had a pork schnitzel sandwich and later, a cherry strudel.

The sun was relentless. I sat for a while at the Harley Stage to listen to a group called Die Lausitzer Musikanten. They were just excellent, but I could only sit for three songs - then I got worried about burning so I moved away into the shade, but I did go back when they were done with their set and got a CD. I really have very little German Music and like to rectify that with groups that I like.

Next big event is Irishfest though we do have a reunion at St. Michaels Church near Parnell and a day bus trip to Chicago this month. We lucked out - the trip to Chicago, called an Ethnic Tour, is on our anniversary. I like that.

It is supposed to be REALLY hot for a couple of days again. I started watering again, beginning with the pots on the deck.

Have a good week and stay cool

Mary

No comments: