Monday, September 13, 2004

Yippee - i - a The Packers won. It is very late and I have been at meetings ALL day. Bible study at 9:30AM Writers Club at 1:00PM and Rhine Plymouth Field and Stream at 7:00PM. It is definately time to GO TO BED.

In case you haven't read it. Here is the poem that is in the Wisconsin Poets' 2005 Calendar. I promised.

CALL OF THE KETTLES


The graveyards are filled with the Irish.
They farmed the hard land formed by the glacier
Building their fences of rocks from the fields.

I hunt and hike now public lands
And find a tumbled down old rock fence
That my great great grandfather built.

My grandfather used to say that the Irish came,
Up from the fertile fields below,
To the glacier’s rocky eskers, drumlins and kettles
Because they figured that no one
Would come and take the land away.

I think the Irish came,
Up from the flat fertile fields below,
To the glacier’s rocky eskers, drumlins and kettles
Because it looked like home
And made them feel that they were there.




Enjoy your nice week.

Mary

No comments: