Sunday, April 18, 2004

Today while in church I realized that I was slumping my shoulders a bit and the nicest memories of my Grandmother Matie Bowser came in to my mind.

Grandma Bowser was a lady and she ALWAYS stood proud with her shoulders back and her head high. When I think of how a lady behaves, I only need to remember her and her manners and ways and KNOW. She often said that she married Irish but she married Lace Curtain Irish not Shanty Irish.

On the 50th Wedding Anniversary of Grandma Matie and Grandpa John Bowser, my Dad wrote a parody of an old Irish Song called John O'Connor's Wedding Day.

Here are his words:

One morning Johnny Bowser was as happy as could be
For in an hour he would wed his beautiful Marie.
He whistled as he dressed himself in his Sears and Roebuck suit.
He was thinking of his sweetheart.
She really was a beaut.
Matie's face was blushing as they walked down the aisle.
And when the preacher tied the know
John's face beamed with a smile
When it all was over to the parsonage they went.
John meant to pay the preacher
But he couldn't find a cent.

Chorus:

Down went his hands into
His pockets, they were deep.
Down went they deeper
He was in an awful sweat.
50 years have passed away
And still I'll always bet
That he hasn't found the bottom yet.

Ahh Ha Ha A

(Grandma's name was Marie, but she was called Matie by those who knew her well. I called her Grandma.)

Love

Mary

No comments: