Saturday, April 17, 2004

Yesterday the 80s and today back down in the 50s. We are on a weather roller coaster. At lest the low is in the 50s not the 20s like it has been. More and more green is showing up all the time.

Today I am making a pork roast with bread dumplings for dinner. Most of the recipes I find have you dropping the dumplings in salt water but my Grandma Deeley used to make them by pressing the dumplings on the roast for the last hour or so of cooking. This kind of bakes them and the juices of the meat soak into them a bit too. Leftover dumplings fry up in butter the next day and are really yummy.

My cousin Patty showed me how to do this when she stayed with us for a couple of weeks when she was working out in California. I did not write down the recipe, so I searched the internet and have come up with a recipe that should work.

I took 4 hardrolls and soaked them for a while in 1/2 cup of milk. Then I added two tablespoons of butter and 2 eggs and some parsley to the soaked bread. It was pretty soupy so I added some more bread crumbs, formed the dumplings and slapped them onto the pork which had been roasting about an hour. It sure smells good. I will let you know tomorrow how they turned out.

Dick and I are also having sauerkraut. Jim hates sauerkraut, but I have some green beans for him so he will survive. I used up the last of the hard boiled eggs as deviled eggs so they won't care what else I fixed anyway.

Later

Mary

No comments: