Wednesday, April 14, 2004

We concluded our study of the Vatican II Constitutions at the Bible Study today. We only went about half way through the book - through the changes on Sacred Liturgy because we really want to get back to a Bible Study. Next week we start the letters of Peter. We had some rather heated discussions of sacred music (how contemporary should we get? What about Gregorian Chant -where has it gone?) It was fun.

I am writing a poem about my Uncle George Deeley. He was my Dad's brother and a bachelor. He was born and raised in the home on School Street in Sheboygan Falls that my brother Randy bought after Aunt Helen died. He stayed with Aunt Helen, who also never married until he died of cancer. He was a good looking guy, rather shy and very well liked.

Once a week, he would walk down town and go to three or four bars throughout the evening, meeting friends and lifting a few and exchanging tales and whatever guys do. The last time I saw him was back in 1978. I was living in California at the time but was visiting Sheboygan Falls for my 30th High School Reunion. The boys and I were coming out of Evans (You know Evans. It is the dime store in Sheboygan Falls that has been there since I was a little kid and probably before. They say if you can't find it at Evans - it doesn't exist. Children LOVE to go to Evans.) Anyway we looked down the street and Dales Bar (now Chuck and Sue's) was burning. I rushed up the street to see and ran into Uncle George coming down the street. I said. "Dale's is burning." He said. "I know, I was in there." George used a cane for years but his friends said he really made good time getting out or that bar.

He always sent me a cheese box for Christmas. I was his goddaughter you know.

Love

Mary

No comments: