Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Bed is calling me

I woke up rather apprhensively, as yesterday I was in pain when I urinated and I had pink pee.   There has to be a story in that.   A gross story, to be sure, but a story none the less.

I had an appointment with a physician assistant Lynett Wilderman.   Dr. Murthy, my doctor was not in today, but had ordered the urine test.    I found Lynett to be very impressive.   I do have a bad bladder infection and will be on antibiotics for 7 days.   So, as I dodged the bullet, and did not get a yeast infection by taking the antibiotics to prevent infection in my bullet wound.   (Did you see how clever I was in wording that.   The point is I had to pick up a couple of things at the store, I got yogurt.   I am not big on yogurt but will try.   I also got Cranberry supplement.   I might be over reacting but I never had a bladder infection before and they hurt and burn.

I rested most of the afternoon.  Ate a scrambled egg for supper and then picked up Sy Regan for our Poets at Mead gathering.    There were a couple of new people, one who must write from the time he  wakes until he hits the bed.  When it got to me, I told them I was reading an old poem because I have not done much the past month as I was recovering from shooting myself in the foot.  They react like everybody else, then when they see that I am OK, they want details.     I thought Karl Elder was going to fall off the chair.   Can't say I blame him.

Anyway, I read the Knockeen Dolmen from my first book in honor of St. Patricks Day.   I am now home.   I am exhausted.   I get to be home all day tomorrow, Good Lord Willing.

So Good Night

Dia Dhuit

Mary

Sharing below a poem about old houses with coal furnaces and gravity heat the only source to go into a second story.



OUR KITCHEN

The fire in the old coal furnace
in the old farm house
Barely lasted until dawn,
Winter being what it is.
Poor Mother had to get up in the cold
trek down to the basement
to throw more coal on the ashes.
Then she shut the doors to the kitchen
and lit the oven.
We, her munchkins, woke one by one,
left the cozy caves of our quilt topped beds
and stumbled down the stairs
to the warm cocoon that she had prepared.
We huddled, all of us, in that place
eating our breakfast and drinking hot chocolate
until the newly stoked fire sent its fingers of warmth
through the house and we could again
Venture forth.

No comments: