Wednesday, October 03, 2012

It has been a long two days.

Last night, when I got home from shopping, at 8:00PM the phone was ringing.   It was Donna.   Mother had been taken to the hospital.   The evening caregiver came at 7PM and found her in her chair semi conscious and not able to communicate.   She called Randy and 911.

Heather, our caregiver, was able to stay with Dick.   I went to the hospital right away.    She was really out of it.  She did not recognize us.   And she was distressed.   But as time went on, she started to settle down and by the time I left, she was settled in a room and knew all of us. 

I went back this morning for an hour.  She is MUCH better.   She is weak as a kitten, of course.  But they have decided that she did not have a stroke but a seizure.   Jeff and I started laughing as she was reminding US that we had to cancel Meals on Wheels for a while and let Companion Care know that she will not be needing them for a while.

She will be given meds for that the seizures and will have to start taking a baby aspirin a day.   Today she had a round of therapy.  I believe that tomorrow will be the day she will go to Meadow View until she is strong enough to be home again.     We hope this will happen.   Of course, she wants to go home now.   But, as I explained to her, this is just like when she dislocated her shoulder.  This time the seizure "dislocated" her ability to care for herself and we have to get her to the point that she can do so again.  She did it before.   I hope she can do it again, but - if Dad comes to get her, that is OK too.   We will be lonely but what joy there will be in heaven.

This afternoon, Dick and I drove to Fond Du Lac to get his updated prosthesis.   This has been a long time coming.  We went up two times that the thing was just not working.  So this is really a relief.   Dick told me that he plans on trying to stand again now that the leg is steady.
Pray God that this happens.

So now you know the story of the past couple of days.   I will run to see Mom in the morning and am sure that I will be pleased with the improvement again.

Bless all of you /

Dia Dhuit

Mary 

No comments: