Sunday, June 17, 2012

Today was a nice quiet day.    After yesterday when I got home much to late for this nine o clock wonder to even try to blog.

The Bloomsday event went SO well.    Kay got here at 3:30PM so that I was able to begin my evening.   The first part of the events, of course, was to go to Mass as I usually do on Saturdays.    I especially wanted to go yesterday because it will be my last Mass presided over by Fr. Van Beek as pastor of St. John's.   I was able to talk a bit to him before Mass and wish him well with a big hug and a kiss.   He will be missed, I know, but the new pastor sounds like a gem.

I was wearing my Irish Odd Socks, one green and one orange, and ended up having to distribute the wine at the Eucharist.   So there I was on the altar with green pants and green and orange sox.   On the way out, I mentioned to one Mom that her youngest daughter was a little perpetual motion machine.    One of those kids who just cant sit still.   She is, however, well behaved and quiet. She just wiggles.   The Mom told me that her oldest daughter loved my sox.   So my day was made.

Then I went home to take care of Dick for a minute and get my Gorgonzola cheese for the big event.

Here I will insert the part of my newsletter for the Sheboygan CWI group about the night itself.

The Bloomsday Celebration was lots of fun.    We felt quite continental as we knew we were joining Joyce and Ulysses fans all over the globe in our endeavor.  CWI members started arriving shortly after 6PM.   We had dinner reservations for 6:30PM.

It turned out that eleven of us including three spouses were there.    It seemed to be a rather quiet night at  52 Stafford which gave me a better chance of being heard.   We had it planned that every half hour from 7 to 9PM we would read a bit from Ulysses and/or give information about Joyce and his novel and his poetry. I was amazed to realize that as I read it out loud, it made much more sense than when I read it out of the book in my head.


Anyway, Joan Kramer with her husband Richard,   Peg Payne,  Nancy Roehre, Nancy Coenen, Pat Becher, Felicia Reindl with her husband Joseph, Peggy Feider with her husband Bob and two friends, the Twohigs, and ME were there.


We tried to be as close to the Bloomsday in Dublin as possible.   As we can't tour Dublin, we chose 52 Stafford to be our Dublin.    At 7PM and every half hour until 9PM, I told our audience about James Joyce and his novel Ulysses which instigated this event or read excerpts from the novel.   I introduced the protagonists and I found out that reading it out loud is a much better way to  read it. Much like poetry.


So we had a great time and will do it again next year.










Now you know what a good time we had.


It is now after 8AM this Sunday evening.    I am anxious to get Dick to bed and follow closely behind so that I can be rested for tomorrow.






This was a great Fathers day for Dick.   Cards from Richard and Bobbie came on Saturday.  He got flowers from Leslie and Bill, cards and calls from all the rest.   Jim and Dick both called just after Dick had settled down for a nap before noon.   But they both called back and had good visits with their Dad later in the afternoon.    Bart called shortly after he woke up.   So it was a day that he knew how much is Kids love  him.
  


If things settle down around here I will have scads of pictures to post.   I may not write.  I may just put pictures on for a couple of days.  Ad an example.  The flowers that Leslie and Bill sent are all closed up and are designed to open over a week.   I am taking pictures every today.   Already there is activity.   How fun is that.


Dia Dhuit

Mary

No comments: