Monday, November 14, 2011

Am I ever glad that today is winding down.    I am still tired for the weekend and this was a quite busy day on its own.

I thought I had Writer's Club this afternoon.   I was wrong, it is next week.   But because of that I left the house shortly after 8AM to visit Dick because I figured that I would not be able to get there until 2:30PM or so and missed him because I had not seen him since Friday.

I got there while he was still eating breakfast and stayed until 9AM when I headed for Blessed Trinity and Bible Study.   We have finally, after about a year, finished the first book of the Little Rock series on Psalms and now are starting book 2.    We figure that we are now fast approaching our 10th year as a Bible Study group.   No wonder we are such a prayer help for each other.


I then went to Mom's and we got a lot of things done.   She is looking great and healthy.   She always says that she is "just the same", meaning weak and tired, but does perk up when we are with her.   There is always a lot to talk about.

I went over to visit Dick at 2:30 and came home at 4PM.   I have everything from the weekend put away and the bills paid so now I just need to rest up from all the excitement.

It was, as I said a truly lovely weekend.  I was able to get part of my presentation recorded with my camera.    The disc was not big enough for it all but part is better than none.     I will post it after I am done here.

The two readings that I had went well.   Of course, when I look at the recording, I think 1.   Who is that old woman?   and 2.   my goodness, speak up, Lady.   But the audiences seemed very receptive and I was told by some of the audience that they related to individual poems, which always makes me feel that I am doing OK.

Sunday, I really did not get to see much else,   A bit of the Yeats poetry recited and sung,   a couple of good lectures and some really good poets.

Saturday, I did see more what with the dancing, a musical presentation by my friend, Jimmy Keane, a couple of panel discussions etc.    Too much to do, too little time.   Isn't that wonderful?   I told my friend, Maureen, who booked and managed the Literary Salon that I would obviously have to call her to really be able to talk.

My friend, Cincy Matyi was there.  So was Dolores Whelen.   Cindy, a Celtic artist, and Dolores, a Celtic Spirituality educator, have combined  with a perpetual calendar, which I purchased and have a give of one for Mother too.   She will find it interesting.

I met several authors too.   Mary Pat Kelly was there and we reconnected.   I met Patrick Taylor who wrote the Country Doctor series that I love.    I got my barm brack recipe from his book.  It was an over saturation and I loved it.

So, I met a fellow poet at the announcement of the winner of the poetry contest.  (I did not win but Jerry O Neill, who I met two years ago at the first IBAM, did win.   We traded books then and were glad to see each other again.   His poetry is full of simplicity and a raw honesty that makes you really think.)  He was tied for 2nd place.   I also met a woman who said she just started writing poetry and had sent one in.    I told her that it did not matter a whit if she won or not, her poem was probably just as good as the winners anyway.   Judges are looking for certain things and they don't always choose the best.  OR all are the best and they just have to choose.  She said that that was encouraging.     I told her about one poem that I had read earlier that had touched a woman in the audience and that is when I feel that I have written something worth while.   I gave her my blog address and will put that poem at the end of this blog.   It is now time for this to end.

Hope this lovely November weather continues for just a bit more as I have a couple of outside things yet to do.

God love you

Mary


Here is the poem, Linda


TONY

He left while I slept
Without a sound.
Sometimes I think
He might have stayed
If I had only heard.

How could I have missed his leaving?
I was there at his coming.
Would he have stayed
If I had only awakened.

No comments: