Friday, April 01, 2011

Well, I did feel better this morning but was tired and still felt a bit squishy, so I stayed home all day and took a couple of naps and worked on the computer mainly.

I did bake some cookies.   Really good ones.   They are coconut raspberry.   Got the recipe from Taste of Home online.   I also made a tuna casserole for our lunch.   It is after all a Friday in Lent and my system is just  not ready for fried food yet.

Jody came this morning to do the cleaning.   She told me that she thought Mom seemed exceptionally tired yesterday.   But some days she is more weary and among us all, we are checking her more often.

I have been working more on Ancestry.  Mainly the Ziegler side but am also trying to trace the source of some of the Clifford information.     When  I was visiting Mother on Monday, we were talking about the Auntie Brandl Salve.  

That is an interesting story.  Mom has a small sample of the salve - it is all dried up, of course, because it has to be at least 40 years old.   My brother George said that some of the ingredients are now illegal to have and there is at least one that nobody is sure what it is.  It was supposed to be a super healer for bad wounds and I don't know what all.

Auntie Brandl was Walburga Klimmer Brandl.   Thus, she was my Grandma Helen Ziegler Deeley's aunt.  She was a sister of Magdelena Klimmer Ziegler my great grandmother  who was married to Alois Ziegler, my great grandfather.      I need to print this out for Mother for Monday.   We were trying to figure out who Auntie Brandl was.   I remembered Aunt Helen talking about her coming to visit when Helen was just a little girl and she remembered that Auntie Brandl was all hunched over, probably severe osteoperosis.   Since Helen was born in 1905, this certainly fits with the records.

Anyway.   I am going to put the recipe here for you all.  It is kind of fun.  Mother has the one that Helen had in either her or Grandma Deeley's writing.


Wonder Salve - Auntie Brandl

This salve was used for healing sores.  Auntie Brandl sent some of this salve to Grandma Deeley when Dad had Tularemia (contracted from contact with rabbits.)  He had a sore that would not heal.   The envelope with the recipe had a note on it to "put on Hutz's toe."   My dad, Hutz, swore by that salve and after it was gone, always tried to get Mom to make some more.  Some of the ingredients are no longer available and according to my brother, George, who has his PHD in Water Pollution (Chemistry) some of them are poisonous and illegal anyway.   Mom had a bottle of sweet oil (which was probably too old to be of any use) and a small sample of the original salve. 

I am not sure if is was able to interpret the handwriting accurately when I transcribed it.   Olebaum may be oledaum or even olebalm.   If I ever find out, I will correct the recipe.

8 ounces Sweet Oil
4  ounces Red Lead
3 drams Olebaum
2 drams burnt Alum
2 drams camphor

1. Heat oil to boiling.   Add all ingredients except camphor.

2. Boil until the lead turns brown.

3. Take from fire and immediately add camphor.

4. Beat until cool.








So Now you have it.   Lots of history and I will take this to Mother on Monday.

God love you,

Mary


No comments: