Monday, July 26, 2010

A typical Monday.   I did not have any meetings this afternoon or evening though, so that made it a bit easier.

Bible study was at 9:30AM.  there were six of us there and we had a lively discussion on the portion of Mark's Gospel regarding Judas' betrayal and Peter's denial.    We are searching out our next study as we are withing two chapters of finishing Mark.   Of course, we do still have time as we started this discussion over a year ago.  We always try to bring it to our lives today - which is really what it is all about.

Mom and I had a lovely visit.   She was tired, but really alert and interested in our conversations.   So I stayed a bit longer.   What a lady she is.

Dick and I had pizza for our lunch.  It is always good and was easy and quick.

I had a couple of phone calls to make today.   Plus a couple of emails and letters to write.   So I was quite busy this afternoon too.   

Tomorrow will be an at home day so I should be able to catch up on all of that stuff. 

All of this muggy heat reminds me of when I was very young and polio was a very real threat in the summers.   I remember the year that a little neighbor girl died of the disease.  

Nora was babysitting for the girl and her brother the night she got sick.  She started running a fever and threw up.   (Nora was of course upset by that to begin with.)  The next morning the girl was worse and they took her to the doctor and it was quickly diagnosed as polio.   Now this was before the Salk Vaccine took care preventing the disease and naturally everybody was scared.   Nora, having come in contact with her during the onset, had to get a shot of gamma globulin, the only defense there was at all.   The girl was transported to Milwaukee to an iron lung but she did not survive the disease.  

Tis was a real awakening for us.  We did not know that children could die.

Thank God that we have the eradication of polio. 

God love you all

Mary

No comments: