Monday, November 02, 2009

Well, here I am again, finally done with today and ready to update you on the whole weekend plus today.

Started off Friday by leaving for the Amtrak Station in Milwaukee after lunch at about 12:30PM. I got there in plenty of time to get into the station and checked in before the train arrived. It is really easy to do this and I would recommend it to anyone who knows how to get around on public transportation down there. I had the fortune of a friend, Betty Gavitt picking me up at the Grandview station and driving me to wherever we had to go. She took me over to the hotel first to check in. Then we went out for dinner together. I was able to be back in my room and have a really restful sleep that night. I read and watched TV and slept.

The next morning Betty picked me up shortly after 9AM. I breakfasted at the Super 8. We went to the Irish Cultural Center to set up the CWI table and get ready to help serve the Irish Breakfast. It was an exciting day. I ate an Irish Breakfast and manned the CWI table off and on all day. We took turns going to hear various speakers and walking around to see the exhibits and all. I met and talked to Malachy and Alphie Mc Court. Both of them have new books and of course, Malachy has his first one still in print.

I was able to sit in on and meet Mary Pat Kelly who wrote Galway Bay a currently popular book about her family. She is fascinating and lots of fun. I loved her talk. She talked about the famine and the numbers that left Ireland during all those times . Then she said something that really struck me. She said. (I am almost quoting.) "People ask, whatever happened to all those people." Then she spread out her hands and said. "We happened." Isn't that great.

After her lecture, I was able to sit in on the last part of the Mc Court talk too. Malachy did most of the talking and I was glad that I got the opportunity.

One of our members, (I am embarrassed that I have forgotten her name) said, "My butt is getting sore from listening to all these people." Isn't that another great quote?

We closed up our table at about 5PM and left after watching Jeff Ward sing a couple of songs. Betty and I had to leave at 5:30PM because we met her sister and family for supper at 6:30. That was pleasant. I got a steak dinner that was wonderful. Betty's sister, brother in law and niece were good company. I was back to the motel at about 8:30PM. Plenty of time for settling down and getting a really good night's sleep again.

The next day I went to Mass at the Center and then worked for an hour dishing up breakfast to the takers. Then I did some shopping and worked the table again. We left at about 2:30 so I could catch my 3:38PM train back to Milwaukee. An uneventful easy trip. Then I loaded everything into the car and made my way home. It was fun having the GPS to reassure me that I was going the right way.

It was good to get home. I felt quite rested but of course that is wearing off quickly. I brought a couple of books home and some barm bread. I sold seven of my trivets and two books. We also sold two of my friend Bob's note cards that I had brought for the table so it was a successful as well as fun weekend.

Today I had bible study at 9:30AM followed by a lovely visit with Mother. Then home for lunch. Bobbie brought our Chelsea home shortly after one PM. She seemed glad to be here as she wanted me to immediately do something for her and actually did not seem to be upset when I picked her up for a bit.

I had a doctor appointment at 2:15PM in Sheboygan with Dr. Sojhi. He has started me on some new meds to see if we can cure my stomach pains. I am to take them for six weeks, recording on a calendar, and then call to update him on how I feel. Then I am to go back for an appointment in three months. I hope this works.

I took a nap when I got home. Then fixed dinner an tonight had to go to the Rhine Plymouth monthly meeting. Lost of excitement. Sara has apparently dropped out of the club. (Don't know what got her goat.) and Frank was his usual loud self. He always has objections but no suggestions.

So, that was the weekend pretty much. I am certainly glad that I went. I know that it was hard on Dick and am so grateful that Bobbie was able to take Chelsea and come every day. Bill came with her on Saturday and they fixed the light in my kitchen and replaced the screen in the front door with the storm door. Goofy me, I didn't notice until the second time that I took Chelsea outside. Aren't they good to me?

Til tomorrow then.

Love

Mary

No comments: