Thursday, November 05, 2009

A quiet day. I had a really good nap this afternoon. I laid down right after lunch and our Roxie approved. She curled up in the hammock I make with my legs resting on a pillow. We both hated to woke up.

I did a lot of computer work this morning, emailing CWI people and other things. Dick and I also got his hair washed and his stockings changed and wounds dressed. That easily wipes out a morning.

Joan, our cleaning person, came at 8AM so we have a vacuumed and scrubbed home again. I am so glad that we are doing that. I was able to clean a cupboard and the window in the front door today too. Somehow I have accumulated 4 packages of Chocolate chips. I must have seen sales and "stocking up." Think I am more than stocked up now. I feel like my friend Ceil felt when she moved to her new condo and when loading her canned goods found 13 small cans of mushrooms. She too kept buying them because she saw a sale and kept forgetting to check her stock.

Bobbie and Bill got her at about 4PM. Bobbie and I racked the Concord Grape wine, her Sheboygan Spice, into the secondary fermentor. It sure smells good. Between us, we, again have about 6 wines in various stages of readiness. Next week sometime we will be racking my lemon balm and my marigold.

Thanksgiving is now just three weeks away. Dick and I are hosting and I have our menu all figured out. I know that I have told you, that in my previous life, we spent Thanksgiving out on the California desert, in various places, the latest at Chiriaca Summit and actually on the Saturday, would roast a pig and a quarter of beef and share that. We baked potatoes, made beans, fresh applesauce and topped it off with homemade ice cream. The guys cooked the meat, starting in the wee hours of the morning. They put it on a big spit and ran the spit with a generator. Bret watched that pig go around for quite some time the first time he saw it. Then he asked our friend, Orrin Nordin, "Can't it oink anymore?" Orrin said. "I hope not." Boy was that a feast and what a wonderful celebration.

I would cook our Thanksgiving the week before and then bring the leftovers for a second meal on Thanksgiving itself out in the desert. I loved the desert. Some day perhaps I can visit it again.

Have a nice day

Mary

No comments: