Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Pete Seeger was quoting Carl Sandburg who said something like this. "My son, perhaps someday there will be a war and no one will come." I received a letter from Tom Petri, our U. S. Representative who swore that he is on my side as far as our responsibility to support and to take care of them when they return as long as it takes them to be re assimilated into civilian life. We send them over there, our future and they defend us and do whatever we ask them to do. We OWE them. If they cannot return to their previous lives because of injuries, we need to care for them. Forever.

This was a very busy day. Chelsea was a real pest. Very demanding. But she is sleeping now and I am SO glad. Sometimes I just get tired taking her in and out of this house.

Dick had an appointment at Wisconsin Prosthesis this morning to get the new cup for his prosthesis. We had a bonus when we got there. His shoe was there too. So - We spent an hour and a half with Tim learning how to put the new cup on. This is different. The sleeve is put onto the stump and then inserted into the cup which locks in place. It is not easy to get it on as it has to be positioned correctly so that when he stands it is straight. Also there cannot be any air bubbles. Wow. Do we have our work set out for us. Especially Dick. He has to be able to do this himself because he gets up during the night and has to put it on without help.

The new shoe fits very nicely. Dick said it feels good. We have an appointment to see Dr. Moreno on Thursday. He will check it out and then we can start therapy and get him up on his feet walking again. Tim, the prosthesist, says that he believes that Dick can be walking with just a cane and not need the wheel chair except for special long occasions. Yippee.

We stopped and picked up a bacon cheeseburger and fries for our lunch from the Dairy Queen. That tasted good.

Then Dick took Chelsea into the bedroom for a nap. She loves that quiet time with him. So I took care of some calls. I called Dr. Murthy's office about my knee hurting and he had me come in for xrays. Modern technology is wonderful. Dr. Murthy had the xrays immediately but of course he has to find time to look at them. It will probably be tomorrow when I hear from him. He did give me some Celebrex which I hope will help the discomfort. It is just that I used to be able to walk off the pain and now it gets worse the longer I walk.

We had soup and sandwich for supper and now I am just about done for the night.

There was a rather interesting situation occurring in the Town of Plymouth. A local restaurant petitioned the town to allow them to change their restaurant to a "Gentlemen's Club" with topless waitresses serving from 4PM to 2PM every day. It was a shock to everybody and the citizens of the area came through in droves. There were six letters to the editor published in the Review against the "Club". All of them articulate and stating their reasons for their disapproval from several perspectives. I was one of the letter writer's. Here is my letter.

I am a resident of the city of Plymouth. It has come to my attention that the Wilderness Restaurant on Hwy 57 at the gateway to the city has applied for a permit to expand the restaurant into a cabaret (topless bar).

I sincerely hope that the Town Board of Plymouth, where the restaurant is located, will stand up and deny this permit. This is not the image that I believe very many of the residents of the Plymouth area wish to convey to the wold.

We are a small town, proud of our roots, our children and our family values. Let's unite to keep it that way.

Thank you.


That was my letter. I only put the name of the restaurant in this blog because the owner of the restaurant, hearing of the concerted opposition, withdrew his application before the meeting. I think that he should be lauded for seeing the mistake and as soon as Dick is able we will again frequent the restaurant for meals as we did before. They are a pleasant place to eat and it would have been a shame to lose another place to eat breakfast that has a smokeless area.

Take care and pray for my friend Gail's daughter Karen who is preparing for serious surgery later this month.

Love

Mary

No comments: