Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Shopping day.

Would you believe. I was in bed by 9PM last night and Chelsea let me sleep until almost 5AM. I don't know why, but I wish it would happen every night.

I got all the morning stuff done by 7AM and then went shopping. When I got home I laid down for a while before starting lunch. I made a dump soup for our supper while I was getting dinner ready.

We made it to therapy on time at 1PM. That went well. Dick stood three times. The minimum time was 6 1/2 minutes. I figure he stood for over 20 minutes. The only problem we are seeing is that his right leg is a bit swollen and the "funny" spots are seeping a little bit. The wounds are fine and there are no new ones so we feel good about that. I have a call into the doctor about the swelling. We are trying to keep the leg up even more.

After we got home, I went to do a few errands. I had to pick up some prescriptions and get my turkey license. There were some really good bargains at Walgreens so I took advantage of them while I was there.

This is St. Patrick's month. I know that most people celebrate St. Patrick's day, but I kind of like celebrating the month. I was remembering today a story that my father in law, Victor Johnston told about the Irish family that lived down the road. They did not have a car and every Sunday the mother ( I can't remember their surname) rounded up her big family and chased them through the streets to Mass, cursing them every foot of the way.

Mass was very important to the Irish at that time, at least to the women and the children. That is why when St. Michael's in Parnell went for five months without a service because of a conflict with the priest, it was such a hardship for the parishioners. They had to go many more miles to Cascade to attend the service and it was winter.

The story goes that the parishioners did not care much for the priest and that after a particularly volital church board meeting a couple of the young men in the parish got a bit of false courage and took it upon themselves to board up the church so the priest could not get in. He left and the diocese forbad services. This happened in January and the first Mass that was offered again in St. Michaels was in June. My grandfather, John Bowser, when he talked about the incident and those that did it, said "No good ever came to them. And they all died young." I understand that he was right.

Take care and enjoy your Thursday.

Love
Mary

No comments: