Friday, January 09, 2009

The snow that they warned us about turned out to be quite mild in our area. Actually this morning, the news was already saying that Sheboygan and Fond du Lac counties would be spared the brunt of the storm. We got probably less than a inch.

It was a bit slippery but not too bad. I stopped off to see Dick before going to Sheboygan to give blood. That worked out well. I had a 10:15AM appointment. The guy who set me up managed to get me hooked up on the first poke. Usually they are jabbing around and it is not too comfortable.

Anyway, on the way back, I stopped at Fleet Farm and picked up the stain for the ramp. Of course, I can't do anything about that until the temperature gets over 50 degrees, but I want to be ready. I also got some grip tape to put on it for when Dick comes home. It will make it easier to move the chair up and down and help when he does get his prosthesis. I also checked the grab bars. They have all lengths. I will also check with the Department on Aging. They helped get the bars in the bathrooms. If I buy them, I have to determine how to figure out where the studs are. The one on the cabinet will have to use either toggle bolts OR support boards in back of the screws to reinforce it.

For the first time in several weeks, I was able to join my bank friends for lunch at the Dairy Queen. That was a nice break and I ate a hamburger and onion rings. Tasted real good but I still was very tired and kind of weak when I went back to the Care Center, so Dick sent me home to take a nap. Then I joined him for supper at 5PM. We visited until 6:30PM then I came home, to the delight of the critter.

I have been taking ornaments off of the tree and Roxie is finding that quite interesting. I hope to be done before the weekend is over, BUT it IS quite a job. Oscar is cuddled up on my lap right now. He is such a cozy little guy.

Tomorrow I am going to make Schlitzhagen. I have been hungry for that. Have I told you about Schlitzhagen.

Years ago, Dad was a good friend of a family named Fitzpatrick. Mr. Fitzpatrick operated a bar called Fitz's on Broadway in Sheboygan Falls. It is now the Other Place. The Fitzpatricks served dinners also in their bar among the dinners broasted chicken. One day, Fitz asked Dad if he had any use for chicken broth. They had buckets of it from parboiling the chicken for their dinners.

Dad brought a bucket home and Mom invented Schlitzhagen. Actually we kids made up the name. Schlitz because the broth came from a bar and hagen because it sounded kind of German. Why that was important, who knows, we were kids.

Anyway, Mom took a meat loaf mixture, rolled it into meatballs, floured the meatballs, browned them and dropped them into the hot chicken broth. Then she thickened the broth a bit and served it over mashed potatoes. It is SO nummy.

Have a wonderful weekend. It is supposed to be clear and about 25 degrees. We are going to enjoy that heat wave as we are supposed to be getting a real freeze coming through on Tuesday. It will be well below zero at nights and never break single digets during the day. Poor Chelsea has not had a real walk in over a month. It is either slippery, snowing or too cold.

All my love

Mary

No comments: