Thursday, December 11, 2008

Another busy day. I got up at 6 as usual despite having gone to bed at 12:30AM because the play lasted SO long. Long but worth it. Today was busy enough that I have not felt the tired too much but I know I will really sleep tonight.

We had our care meeting at the Plymouth Care Center today. I think it was quite successful. Therapy is going to concentrate on transfers - bathroom and car in the next two weeks. We are really aiming for getting him home for Christmas. He is stable on all dangerous things, like the diabetes and his heart. And the fact that he has lost so much weight, a good hunk of it fluids is a very good thing too.

We have tentatively scheduled a home evaluation for December 23 and his prosthesis will be back on December 22. We thought that the prosthesis was going to be ready next week but maybe it is better to have the extra week so the abrasions can really heal and we can keep stimulating healing with massage and Vitamin E.

Anyway, that was the exciting news of the day. I came home for lunch "with Chelsea" and did a bit of cleaning while I was here. Then went back to have supper with Dick and just be with him for part of the evening.

Now I am home and winding down very fast. Bed at 9PM on the dot is the goal. Tomorrow we see Dr. Moreno. The nurses are telling us that the wound looks better now. Not so deep. I hope they are right.

I am going to share a funny joke from the Reader's Digest.

Even though she's been teaching English for 25 years, my mother never felt her age was an issue, until the day she helped a student with a report on the Vietnam War. Mom recognized the name of a war correspondent mentioned in the textbook and blurted, "I used to go out with him!"

Peering up from his work, another wide-eyed student asked, "You dated someone from our history book?"

That reminds me of my Mother. I remember that she never minded any age she reached, but when she turned 70, she said that it sounded old. (I am less than two years from that now.) Then when she turned eighty, Aunt Kathleen said that she asked Mother how it felt to be an octogenarian and Mother did not find it very amusing. Now she is 92 and just seems to be enjoying herself at whatever pace she can. We sure did have a lovely time at The King and I.

Hope you have a good Friday.

Love

Mary

No comments: