Monday, September 29, 2008

Well, this day is done, thank God. Dr. Fehrman said that all went as he expected.

I will start from the beginning. Chelsea and I got up a bit early this morning, just because I woke up and was ready to go. It was nice walking weather. We ran into two of our Tall Grass neighbors also on the road. Then, I did a few things around here and headed for the Care Center. Dick had a very poor night. The nurse had lots of trouble with his IV that started at 8PM and it did not finish til after 2:30AM so he got virtually no sleep. He dozed while I was there until about 10:30. Then we started getting him ready to go. Richard and Brenda got there at 11ish. I left to let Chelsea out one more time at about 11:30 so I could get to the hospital before his transport arrived with him. As soon as we knew what room he was in we called Bobbie who arrived right away.

He was taken down for the surgery 2:30 as scheduled. The surgical nurse is the daughter of the gentleman who shares the bathroom with Dick at the Care Center. Ed also had a leg amputated.

The surgery took about 1 1/2 hours with a similar time for recovery. Dr. Fehrman came down after surgery to give us his report. He seemed satisfied, so at this point we are too.

While they were getting him all hooked up and checked out, Jim and Michelle, who arrived just AFTER Dr. Fehrman's report, Richard and Brenda and myself went down to eat. Bobbie joined us for a bit before going home to fix dinner for Bill.

Then we stayed with Dick until 7:30. He is experiencing pain. Phantom pain too. He is on a morphine pump which should get that under control. I hope he can sleep but on the other hand he should push that pump every 10 minutes or so.

If this is a little rambling, that is the way my brain seems to be working tonight. A good night's sleep will help. I do have to be at the hospital at 7AM so I can see Dr. Fehrman with Dick in the morning.

The hospitoligist (Hospital Doctor) is Dr. Phelan who was Dick's doctor before he went into the hospital doctor specialty. We REALLY like him and he is a GREAT doctor. He remembers and likes Dick so is glad to be able to help him now. There are things that need to be regulated with his meds. This should help the shortness of breath and coughing that he has been experiencing.

That is all.

I am tired.

I will post again tomorrow. Please keep up the prayers.

Love

Mary

No comments: