Sunday, May 25, 2008

This is turning out to be quite a lovely Memorial Day weekend. So far there is no rain, though we may get a bit tonight and/or tomorrow. Actually, we could really use it so I hope we do. I actually ran the sprinklers on the gardens at the bottom of the yard yesterday, so that I could pull some of those awful wild garlic plants that are invading everything again this year.

I also planted the last of the plants that I bought a couple of weeks ago. So far I have only killed one tomato.

I went to the 8AM mass this morning after walking our Chelsea. It was a nice morning for a walk but we did not see another soul out there today. Church was full. When I arrived, the lot was pretty empty but I guess everybody was just funning a bit late. Fr. Van Beeck gave a nice Memorial Day, Corpus Christi sermon. I fixed Dick and I a good breakfast and then Jim and Michelle arrived. They installed a battery backup for our sump pump. They were doing theirs and asked if we would like it done too. It is nice to have someone watching over us.

So I invited them over for a steak dinner. Was pretty good too. This way I can get Jim to turn on the fryer. I always have to use a match. He just goes Click Click Click and off she goes.

Tomorrow is actually Memorial Day. I don't know if there are any real parades going on. I remember the first year Dick and I were married. Dick and Bart and I rushed up from our home on Broadway in Sheboygan Falls to the corner of Pine and Broadway for the Parade. We still laugh today. The parade consisted of a police car, a number of veterans, some Girl Scouts and Bruce Mertzig with his old car.

When I was a kid there was a band from one of the schools, all the scouts marched and we had to go all the way to the Sheboygan Falls Cemetery in Kohler. It was much more impressive. Now they go the the Municipal Building and do the gun salute and cememony on the steps. Maybe we have forgotten the reason for this day. Sadly, we are making more reasons for Memorial/Veterans Day every single day over in the Gulf.

Pray for all of our boys and girls over there. They need our love, prayers and support.

Mary

No comments: