Thursday, April 17, 2008

Dick was delighted. He got to stay home all DAY today.

Chelsea and I had a delightful walk this morning. Sunshine and no wind. We went our entire route. I wonder how long she will be able to keep that up.

Beth Dippel picked me up at 9:30ish and we drove the "Cemetery Tour". We went first to St. Patrick's in Adell. That church is just beautiful. Beth is going to try to get someone to open it up for us on the 26th. It is made of stone that the parishioners hauled up from the lakefront. We believe that it is the original church constructed in 1854. We wandered through the graveyard and I found the gravestone of my Grandpa Mike Deeley's first wife. It is huge and very pretty. He must have loved her very much. She died of Typhoid Fever after attending the County Fair with Sarah Spratt, leaving my grandfather and my Auntie Marge, who was just a baby. Later he married my grandmother Helen Zeigler.

We then proceeded through Cascade to St. Michael's in Parnell. The gravestone of my Great Great Great Grandfather has been restored. That was a thrill to see. I spent a long time interpreting the little poem on the side of the monument. Now is it easy to read.


Next we went on to the Our Lady of the Angels Cemetery in Armstrong. It is so sad to find the church torn down. There is actually no sign of it at all. We wandered around there too. Just to get our bearings. We checked out Johnny Bills giant Celtic Cross up on the hill in the new part of the cemetery. AND this time I found Aunt Mae O Connor.

We got back to the house just before noon. I had time this afternoon to drive over to 52 Stafford and Antoinettes to confirm our meals there.

We had strawberry shortcake for dessert tonight. It was supposed to rain this afternoon but so far nothing. I am just glad that it was so nice when Beth and I were out and about. Pray God that it will be just like that on the 26th.

All my love

Mary

No comments: