Wednesday, January 30, 2008

It was frigid today. When Chelsea woke me up at 5AM it was -10degrees. I was not really happy with Chelsea. We zipped out and even she agreed that it was much too cold. She piddled and rushed back to the house. It took several trips throughout the day to be sure that she was not in trouble that way.

Of course, there were no walks and she did not ask either.

I worked on the denim quilt today. Two more seams, then stitching around the whole quilt and it is assembled. Then all I have to do is clip the seams and wash it a couple of times to fray it.

Dick was really tired most of the day. We did manage to go grocery shopping despite the cold. Then we were able to stay home safe in our nice warm cave away from all danger.

We watched some of the Republican debate at the Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley. I had friends in Simi Valley. I still communicate with Steve Hansen, a dear friend, and classmate of my ex husband. They lived there when the Sylmar Quake hit and had some damage to their home. I remember his ex wife telling us the tale of th quake.

They had four children who were sound asleep in bedrooms around a two story house. Then came the quake. Jean said that the noise was incredible and the kids started hollering as they were, of course terrified. The shelves and cabinets in their bathroom were rattling and clanging and poor Steve, waked out of a sound sleep, headed into the bathroom and "saved" the bathroom cabinets. He valiantly held them on the wall until the crisis was over.

About the quake, though, Jean said that there was not one thing in their house that was in the same place that it started. Fortunately there was no major structural damage and not one of that six member family was injured.

This is the same quake that woke up me and my ex. It was the noise that woke us. First we thought it was a plane flying really low as we lived near the Orange County Airport (now the John Wayne Airport) then realized that the noise was coming from underneath us. It went on for well over a minute. I remember asking Dick, my ex, if maybe we should be standing under a door frame or something. But we just waited. And it subsided. It was loud, like a huge animal growling underneath us and everything in the house shook. Bret had crawled in bed with us and never even woke up.

Boy is this week going fast. Tomorrow I take Dick to get his blood test and then will pick up Mother and take her for her physical. Whew.


Have a nice evening and a good Thursday.

Love

Mary

No comments: