Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Another warm rainy day. Tornadoes touched down in the southern part of the state yesterday. Wisconsin was blessed that there were no deaths but several houses were demolished. Kind of odd to have tornadoes in January in the middle of winter.

No walks for Chelsea and me. I see no sense getting wet when I just have warded off a bad cold. I started with a icky throat etc last week but managed to stop it in its tracks. The rain should change to snow overnight and we will have sun tomorrow. Back to walking again. We walk unless there is rain or ice.

This morning Dick had blood and urine tests at Aurora here in Plymouth. Then we headed to Sheboygan, via, the Point for breakfast and the bank. We dropped our condo fees off at the accountant's office and stopped at Aurora Pharmacy on Superior to get some new rubber gloves with those little gripper things so that we can get his thigh highs on. I actually have worn a pair out. The thumbs on the old pair split and disintegrated.

I feel like I was busy all day. But it was all odd things. I took down all the door wreaths and plaques. Now I have to remember how I stored them or at least store them so I know where they are next year. Tomorrow the nativity sets get packed away too.

We will be grocery shopping in the morning, but will be home the rest of the day.

Tonight I went over to St. John's for Fr. Van Beeck's adult education classes. He is discussing Faith this year. He always gets such a big crowd. Usually up to 200 people. It just goes to show you that people do want to learn about their faith. Just give the opportunity.

On the way home I stopped at Kate's. She had prepared a chicken salad luncheon for the Daughters of Isabella. I mentioned that I have always wanted a good chicken salad recipe. SO. She saved some of the salad for Dick and me for lunch tomorrow. AND gave me the recipe. It is truly delicious. She also gave me a stick of venison sausage that her son Dean had given her. He had given them four so she wanted to share. I told her that I am going rabbit hunting on Sunday and that we always have the sausage tasting at the Whirl Wind out in the sticks and that I will serve Dean's sausage. She is going to call him for the name of the butcher shop and city. I have none left from last year and have none of ours from this year so this is great.

I have a little story for you. I don't know what made me think of this but it was funny.

I had a friend who lived with her mother. Two women in a house that they owned. This was in California. They both worked. One morning after her mother had left for work, my friend went out to turn on the sprinklers for a couple of hours before she left for some errands. She turned the handle and to her dismay, it broke off in her hand and water just spewed all over the place, drenching her to the skin. There she stood with this faucet in her hand and not idea on God's green earth as to how to turn of the water.

Then, she remembered. A couple of blocks away, on her way to the house the night before, she had seen some city workers working on the water lines for the city. So she got in her car and drove over there. She jumped out, ran over to them and explained her situation graphically. They all just looked at her,drenched and babbling, in amazement so she grabbed one of them by the arm and pushed him into her car and drove back to the house. She said that the poor guy looked somewhere between terrified and bemused and stayed really close to his door. He did however find the main and turned off the water for her. And she took him back.

Later, she realized that those guys had nothing to do with houses directly and they probably thought she was nuts but fortunately she never had to see them again.

Love
Mary

No comments: