Saturday, November 10, 2007

Yesterday was exhausting. I cleaned the kitchen in the morning and then took Chelsea to see the Dr. Connors. Thing are actually a bit better with her. The fluid is gone from around her heart. She is concerned that Chelsea is still coughing so has increased one of her meds. We determined that there will be no dental work done on her. I have concerns about putting her under being as big a risk as the possibility of perhaps developing an infection in a tooth. Dr. Connors agreed with me.

Then I had lunch with Barb and Joyce at Dairy Queen. Came home and started picking things up for that bust up at Rhine. I got the salads and rolls and went out to the club to set everything up. Then at 4, Sara Behr and I drove back to the Pig and picked up the chicken. Everything went very well except that we ran out of chicken for about 6 people. Next time much more. Live and learn. We had plenty of everything else. Bill Olsen brought his famous peach cobbler and Jean Nytes brought brownies and peanut butter cookies so everybody was really well fed.

Anyway, I got home and just was exhausted.

Today was much better. I had a quiet morning until about 9:30AM. Then I went and got gas and checked and filled the air in the tires. Next I drove out to meet Jeff and Kathy to check out and do "repairs" on our sites for deer hunting next week. Jeff helped me set up in a new place, a bit easier to get too with good views in the pines. He fixed me a lovely "armchair" with a "coffee table" beside it. We were out in the Kettles for a bit over two hours. Kathy and I were able to visit and catch up. I just wish it would be that nice next week when we have to sit out ALL day. Kathy is trying to figure out how SHE is having to go out to check sites TWICE this year when she doesn't even hunt. They are stopping back at the woods next Friday with Shane when he gets in from Florida. She is taking a four week class in applique. We figure that one of these days we can have a quilting day - just visit and quilt.

Today, Dick seemed a bit subdued. I guess everything is catching up with both of us. I am drained too. I was so glad to get a couple of nice emails from Nora. It is so comforting to hear that someone out there is thinking of us. They are, of course, getting ready for the wedding at the end of the year which will, I gather, incorporate two cultures.

After lunch, I drove over to Sheboygan Falls to take Mother her medication and some potato salad. She had told me on Thursday that she only had one of her blood pressure pills left so I didn't want to delay getting them to her. We had a great discussion about the state of the world. I was able to tell her that I quote her often. Anytime a conversation goes to the building of that wall along our southern border, I remember what she says. "Haven't we learned anything from history. Think about it. The Berlin Wall. The Great Wall of China. Hadrian's Wall." What good are they. She Is a pleasure to talk to.

We talked too, about the drought in Georgia. They are literally running out of water. Mom said they will have to learn to do things MUCH differently. Perhaps outhouses will have to be reintroduced. And people will have to share bathwater. Mother used to wash more that one load in each fill of her old wringer washer too. I remember these things. I was four of five when they got water piped in to the house that wasn't pumped from the cistern in the basement and was five or six when we got the bathroom put in the house and I remember taking baths in a big basin that Mother filled with water that she heated on the stove. Hot water heaters did not exist in that house at that time either. It is amazing what we have become to accept as normal that would have been a luxury less than 100 years ago.

Actually, I learned to get along on very little water when we went out for extended camping trips. We learned to conserve, but we knew that it was for a designated time. These poor people are really up against it.

Tomorrow, except for church, I should be able to stay home ALL day. Yippee!!!!

A haiku about the walk in the woods

The sweet smell of leaves
Crushed under foot as we walk
Fills my soul with joy.


Love

Mary

No comments: