Sunday, October 14, 2007

A rainy Sunday in Plymouth town. Not heavy but just kind of misty and steady. My knees are telling me that it is an unsettled time. Chelsea and I were able to walk this morning. I had to get up at 6AM in order to get to Mass on time and it is really still too dark to be walking. It is time for Chelsea and I do revamp our schedule a bit. Last year, I would take her out long enough for her to do what was absolutely necessary. Then after my shower and breakfast (unless we were going out) when the sun is out, we would go out and finish our walk.

Despite the fact that she coughs often and has seizures at least once a day (twice so far today) she is still eager to go walking and obviously is enjoying herself.

A nice Mass, Fr. Van Beeck always gives a nice sermon. A friend from choir at St. Mary's who also moved to Plymouth was cantor this morning so her whole family came to celebrate the mass with her today. The Dobrozynski's. It was good to see them all. I miss Debbie. We were altos together. And her Dad, Wally, had open heart surgery in He looks great. Good color and everything.

Did I tell you that my brother George called yesterday. I am always so glad to hear his voice. He was just checking in. Betsy reads the blog and was wondering about Chelsea. It is nice to know that people care along with one. We are ALL looking forward to the Wedding at the end of the year. He and Betsy have been doing a bit of traveling and may spend Thanksgiving in England.

This morning Dick and Brenda came to see us. They had spent part of yesterday with his mother. She is doing so much better that she may be able to go home in a couple of weeks. I am sure that this will bring a big improvement. It has been almost 6 months that she has been hospitalized and home must be looking mighty good.

So, Dick and Brenda invited us to go to the American Club for brunch. They got here at 10 and the dear souls helped us with a couple of computer puzzles before we left. The brunch is excellent. We had mimosa. Isn't that fun. They have a marvelous spread, including main dishes, made to order omelets, fresh fruit and breadstuffs and tons of other things. We were all stuffed and enjoyed our visit immensely. Brenda and I are considering going to In Celebration of Chocolate.

Barb called this evening and we had a nice visit. She is in Florida working at an office there, I think I mentioned that. It is hard as she has to be there for at least two months, but Bart will join her soon for a couple of weeks, and that will help. I had called her last night but she was at Epcot with the gal that she is replacing. I am glad that she is seeing things.


We somehow got into a discussion of bars in Sheboygan Falls. I said that when Mom had her card games, I was not sure what Dad did. I said that perhaps he joined some of the husbands downtown at Fitz's. Dick asked if I perhaps meant Dales, but I assured him that I meant Fitz's which was right next door to the Deeley's Men's Wear that my Uncle Jack owned. Fitz's is now The Other Place and has expanded into the building that was the men's wear store. They serve really great perch lunches and Dick remembered eating there when I reminded him who ate with us. Another Story.

I think I told this story before, but Brenda did not remember, so I said I would tell it today. During the strike, funds were short. Fitz's served chicken dinners at their establishment and parboiled the chickens prior to cooking. Fitz asked Dad if he had any use for the chicken broth. So occasionally, Dad would bring home a bucket of chicken broth. Mother became very creative. Besides soup, she made a dinner we all just loved. She would mix up a meatloaf mixture, roll the meat mixture into meatballs, brown the meatballs and drop them into the chicken broth. When the meatballs were cooked she would thicken the gravy a bit and we ate them over mashed potatoes. I fix them occasionally. It also tastes wonderful over noodles.

She also would brown chicken giblets, heats and gizzards, which were at the time very cheap, and heat them in the thickened broth. We loved them too. Either they really do taste good, or we were mighty easy to please and/or fool.

Guess that's all for tonight. Have a happy week. We are delighted. The only one who has a doctor's appointment this week is Chelsea.

Love

Mary

No comments: