Tuesday, May 08, 2007

It was a nice quiet day today. We did not have to go anywhere. Chelsea and I went for our walk at 6AM. The weather was perfect for walking and we really enjoyed it. The temperatures got up to 79 Degrees and it was still and rather muggy. Dick tested out the air conditioning this afternoon. It works, but now we have the conditioner off and the windows open.

I spent the day cooking and gardening. It was fun. Could have gotten more done if I had pushed myself but decided not to. The caregivers need to take care of themselves too.

Yesterday, when I was at Mother's, she sent the two books that I bought for her at Galena home with me so that I can read them. They are The Essential Handbook of Victorian Etiquette and The Essential Hanbook of Victorian Entertaining. She commented that the rules said that if a lady went to tea, she was to keep her gloves and hat on but if she went to a dinner it was permitted to take them off.

We are sure these rules were only practiced by the "upper class" though ---- Even when I was in High School, when Mother, Nora and I went to church, we word gloves and a hat. There were gloves in many colors to match the various outfits that we had. We were remembering a time when there was a hat that all three of us just loved. It was a straw hat with a wide brim with four large cloth roses in different colors in the brim. We all went to different masses on Sunday so that we could wear "the Hat."

We were remembering that when girls went to the prom they also had matching gloves to go with their formals. The gloves were long and reached way beyond the elbow.


Times have changed.

Love

Mary

No comments: