Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Despite the threats of snow, it has not been a bad weather day today. Chelsea and I walked as much as we could this morning since I don't know what we are going to wake up to. They are talking 4 to 6 inches. This is really silly in mid April, but then none of us have been put in charge of the weather as of yet.

My doctor appointment went well. I will have another test or two next week. The rest of the day was relatively quiet. I tried to take a nap about one o'clock but could not get to sleep. So - I went downstairs and quilted. Got quite a bit done. Then I went down for a while this evening and did some more. The hardest part is remembering to turn off the heat when I come back upstairs.

I called my friend Jane to see if she remembered that she said she might go with me to Green Bay Thursday evening. She remembered and is still available, so I won't have to drive up alone to read my poem. She was just getting in touch with me to tell me that her poetry reading at the Plymouth Art Center is rescheduled to April 22. That is too bad because I will be in Galena. So I said. "OH Poop!" and it reminded me of a tale of Bret when he was in kindergarten.

He was in a class of 16 boys and 4 girls. One day the kids got a bit out of hand. They were using bad words and Miss Gammel, their lovely teacher who one of the kids described to his father as a big, beautiful blond, was losing control. So she shushed them all and told them that the next one who used a bad word would have to go to the principal's office and my dear sweet Bret said "Poopy." So she sent him to the office. Mr. Drama became quite distraught and cried and carried on. Poor Miss Gammel felt bad and some of the other teachers said she shouldn't have sent him. But I told her I did not see a problem. As she said, poopy is really nothing but some of the words she was hearing were pretty bad and BRET thought he was saying a naughty word. She had to keep control of the class after all.

Mother was telling me the other day that when she was young, Grandma Bowser was a member of a parent group at the school in Batavia that Mother and her brothers went to. Kind of a pre-PTA. The parents used to put on shows for assemblies at the school and Grandma would do soliqueys. She remembered one especially. When Mother and her siblings were getting mean to each other she would say

"Words unexpressed may sometimes fall back dead. But God Himself can't kill them once they're said."

Something to keep in our hearts. Best not to EVER say anything that might hurt another.

Love

Mary

No comments: