Friday, March 02, 2007

Just got home from Rhine. Bobbie and I worked tonight. It was busy, but the guys let me go home at about 8:30 because of the wind and snow. It was pretty bad out ther. Bobbie left about an hour before that because we were worried about her having to drive all the way to Sheboygan. Actually, I think I had it easier than she did. Not only was my distance closer, but by the time I left, the snow and wind had died down a LOT. It was slippery and the snow was drifting some but it was not too bad. Dick and Chelsea were very glad to see me.

Had to get up at 5AM again. Tomorrow and Sunday we can sleep in a bit as we won't go to Valley View until 8:00AM. Of course, the trade off is that we have to drive in to Memorial in Sheboygan and be there at 6:00PM.

I cleaned the kitchen and (almost) finished fixing the guest toilet. I needed Jim to help tighten the seals and I didn't know how to set the float. He did both and now (after some minor adjustments to the float by Dick) we think we have it.

I gave blood today at 11:00AM. I could go again on April 27 but found out that Bob and Peggy Feider will be having their annual A gallon or so for Joe on May 12 so I will sign up with Peggy at Bible Study. It went well. I have never suffered any discomfort or weakness at all. I like that.

Had lunch with the Ladies at Dairy Queen. I got a fish sandwich as I knew that there would be slim pickings for dinner. That was because, after Dick and I going for his evening intravenous, we got home at 5:30 and I had to head right for Rhine. I brought some soup and fruit which I could easily eat while working.

I shot my last two targets for league. Not impressive at all but I am having fun anyway and there is always next league. Next week Friday is the Bust Up Party. I have to call Sara Behr tomorrow so we can plan the menu. Bill Olson usually brings his "world famous" peach cobbler but told me tonight that he won't be home to fix it. I have decided to bring Kahlua Brownies. They turned out SO good for the Writers Club 50th. I must remember to put white chocolate chips on the grocery list.

Anyway, I am home, and Bobbie is home, safe and sound again. It is about time for bed and I get to sleep late (unless Chelsea betrays me.)

We are getting close to St. Patrick's Day. (It is March now, you know.) So I will share some of my favorite stories between now and the 17th.

I LOVED this and have seen it geared to Iraq also.

Ireland Declares War on France


Jacques Chirac, The French President, is sitting in his office when his telephone rings.

"Hallo, Mr. Chirac!" a heavily accented voice said. "This is Paddy Down at the Harp Pub in County Clare, Ireland. I am ringing to inform you that we are officially declaring war on you!"

"Well, Paddy," Chirac replied, "This is indeed important news! How big is your army?"

"Right now," says Paddy, after a moment's calculation, "there is myself, me Cousin Sean, me next door neighbour Seamus, and the entire darts team from the pub. That makes eight!"

Chirac paused. "I must tell you, Paddy, that I have 100,000 men in my army waiting to move on my command."

"Begoora!" says Paddy. "I'll have to ring you back."



Sure enough, the next day, Paddy calls again. "Mr. Chirac, the war is still on. We have managed to get us some infantry equipment!"

"And what equipment would that be Paddy?" Chirac asks.

"Well, we have two combines, a bulldozer, and Murphy's farm tractor."

Chirac sighs amused. "I must tell you, Paddy, that I have 6,000 tanks and 5,000 armored personnel carriers. Also, I have increased my army to 150,000 since we last spoke."

"Saints preserve us!" says Paddy. "I'll have to get back to you."

Sure enough, Paddy rings again the next day. "Mr. Chirac, the war is still on! We have managed to get ourselves airborne! We have modified Jackie McLaughlin's ultra-light with a couple of shotguns in the cockpit, and four boys from the Shamrock Bar have joined us as well!"

Chirac was silent for a minute and then cleared his throat. "I must tell you, Paddy, that I have 100 bombers and 200 fighter planes. My military bases are surrounded by laser-guided, surface-to-air missile sites. And since we last spoke, I have increased my army to 200,000!"


"Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!" says Paddy, "I will have to ring you back."

Sure enough, Paddy calls again the next day. "Top o' the mornin', Mr. Chirac! I am sorry to inform you that we have had to call off the war."

"Really? I am sorry to hear that," says Chirac. "Why the sudden change of heart?"

"Well," says Paddy, "we had a long chat over a few pints of Guinness, and decided there is no bloody way we can feed 200,000 prisoners."

Slainte

Mary

No comments: