Sunday, February 25, 2007

This weekend has been a computer fiasco. I couldn't post last night because Jim was working on the computers. I fell asleep on the couch before they left and found a note on the computer when I woke that I was not to touch it until morning. So there you go. Dick's also had a note that we weren't supposed to do anything to it either.

Then we lost our server this morning and after several calls to Time Warner and getting a message stating that we would have to wait varying lengths of time, Dick finally waited. 57 minutes later, we talked to a real person who transferred us to two others. These people walked Dick through all KINDS of fixes and finally decided that we need to have a tech come here. So we have an appointment for Tuesday between 1:30 and 4:30. He said "We can get someone there AS SOON AS Tuesday." Doesn't sound soon to me. About 20 minutes after we hung up, I suddenly got a connection. So I am posting like crazy.

We have been hit by a really heavy late winter storm. The plows finally made it down to our end of the tract just before dark and did not do a very good job. Actually, the guys that shovel next to the garage door ran out of steam, I think.

This morning I decided to try to make church. The plows had not come into Tall Grass but I determined that if Highland, the main road we empty into, was plowed, I would go. God must have wanted me there because the plows had cleared to Highland JUST past Tall Grass Lane. So I trucked up Highland, turned left on Eastern to Mill and left on Mill to the bottom of the hill to church. God hadn't told me that neither the hill OR the streets around the church and school were plowed. But I figured that since I was that close, I would go the distance. Up the hill I went and proceeded to get stuck next to the parking lot. I remembered that one should back up and try a new path and it worked. Somehow, I made it into the parking lot, which was plowed. Fr. Van Beeck officiated at an abbreviated service for the few die hards like me that had ventured out. He said that the church was PACKED last night and that he had told the congregation that he would say the masses this morning but figured that it would probably be just him and Puppy. Puppy was not at all enthused, so he was glad that we were there.

There was a respite from the snow during the mid to late morning so Dick and I had a rather easy ride to Valley View for his intravenous. Only one more to go before we see Dr. Phelan. We are really hoping that he has answers and glowing words for us. He slept a wee bit better last night, but his appetite is still very poor.

The Poetry Reading at Plymouth Arts Center was canceled and will be rescheduled. That was good because I was saved the trauma of having to make another decision about going out. We just holed up in our warm little house (except for that silly Chelsea of course.)

I did some sewing this afternoon and we racked a gallon of wine. Now we are watching the Oscars. A pleasant way to end a Sunday. We find that we haven't seen too many movies this year but it is always fun to see the celebrities, even the celebrities that we have never heard of. The clothes all seem to be really pretty this year.

Uncle Fred Michels always sends a report on the Wild Game Feast and he writes a little poem. They are always really sweet. I thought you might enjoy this one.

And now, 30 years have passed
And no one got to gassed!
We swallowed our beers, and shed no tears
When Donna won, at last.


And would you believe that the Wild Game And Beer Tasting has been going on for 30 years.

Have a nice week and stay warm.

Mary

No comments: