Thursday, January 11, 2007

"In happiness or unhappiness, living is a duty and must be done thoroughly." From Cadfael's Book of Days by Robin Whitman, taken from Ellis Peter's writings.

We went grocery shopping today. We couldn't seem to get moving very fast. Then we went to the Family Restaurant for breakfast and that took forever. By the time we got home, it was after 10:00AM about an hour later than we usually are.

We had a message from Shanna at ReMax that there was a showing last night and that they are coming back next week to look again and to see the yard as it was dark when they came through. Shanna also told us that the house was VERY cold and that it looked like the thermostat needed batteries and that there was an odd smell just inside the back door.

SO we d took a drive over to the property with batteries and a screwdriver or two and sure enough the batteries were dead and the house was down to 49 degrees. BRRRR. We replaced the batteries and waited until heat was coming into the living room before we left. We decided that the odor is simply a "sewer" odor. There is no gas in that part of the house. The only source is the drain for the washing machine. Since it is not being used now, there is a drying out and a slight odor from the unused drain. We will pour water down there as well as running water in the sinks from now on.

Pray that we get a buyer soon.

This afternoon, I met Beth Hoegger, the music director at Blessed Trinity, for lunch. She has asked that I write a poem to be read at Fr. Neumann's farewell Mass as week from Sunday. Jim Wilsing will back the reading with a flute music background. Which sounds great to me. I have an idea. Now if I can just get it into words that will be appropriate. We had the best soup at the Mill Street Store. Red Pepper and Gouda cheese. Num Num. Come to visit and I will take you there. They have the soup special. $3.00 for all the soup you can eat with bread and croutons. They always have two choices of soup.

Jim and Michelle came over to try to put up the grab bars that we want in the shower stalls. However, we found that the studs are not up against the stall so we hit a snag. I am gong to make some calls to see if there are any other suggestions from the Department on Aging or perhaps Home Depot.

When Bart was in the Boy Scouts, he had the opportunity to go to camp in Colorado with his troop. He earned part of the money with a bike a thon and other things and we paid the rest. They got to tour many parks, Bryce comes to mind on the way there and then a week at camp. The first night I got a call from one of the parents who felt that she should prepare me for Bart who came on next.

He was homesick. I think he realized how far away we were and how long it would be til he came home. He was really distressed and I became so too. However, we could not do anyhting that night and he agreed to that. The parent and I decided that if he was still SO distressed the day after the next, he could come back with a couple of parents who were returning to California. I was on pins and needles for the next 24 hours or so, then got a call from Bart himself. He said that he was OK now and was staying. I was so proud of him. This was a once in a lifetime trip for him to see all he did at that age. He still sees scenic places and remembers being there on that trip. He is quite a guy and has tried a lot of things. I am proud of him. I hope he knows that.

Jim and Michelle brought Boots with them this evening. He sure is a cute little kitty. It sure makes me realize how much I miss my guys. I just wish I knew that they don't think that I don't love them anymore.

Take care

Mary

No comments: