Monday, December 25, 2006

T'was a lovely Christmas. I would have liked to sleep in but, of course, habits are hard to change and certainly for Chelsea. She figures that 6:AM is walk and breakfast time, no matter what. We had a lovely walk anyway. We went the big one, all through the tract and then around the park and through the woods home.

Then, after breakfast, while Dick napped, I prepared an "overnight egg" dish for popping in the oven tomorrow as Richard and Brenda will be here. I also baked some scones.

It was a rather melancholy day for me. For some reason I really miss my boys. Thank heavens I have such a loving and caring family with Dick and Brenda, Jim and Michelle and Bobbie and Bill. Bobbie was such a comfort when I acted goofy. I got to hold both my kitties today. I think they may remember me. Roxie seemed kind of puzzled and was quite definite about letting Chelsea know her boundaries.

Bobbie fixed Italian Rolls, spinach with ricotta cheese and Italian sausage with pepper. They were SO good with a lovely green salad and fresh cooked broccoli and cauliflower. Dessert was her candy and some cookies that Michelle brought. We are still stuffed.

After we got home Jim and Michelle invited us over for Jim's famous Tirimisu. It was delicious too. He is turning into quite the chef.

At the dinner table we were talking about the library and the problems there. Jim mentioned that some of the employees were not too supportive of a union which was defeated when they tried to come into the library. He mentioned that some employees complained because the Union reps told them that they would be unable to help with some problems. Funny how conversations repeat themselves. Mother, Dick and I were talking about the unions just the other day. Dad was a union man, a striker during the Kohler Strike. I remember him coming home from work covered with a red coating. It was rust from his grinding job in the foundry. Many people are not aware, but Rocky Knoll was originally built to house the silicosis patients that came out of the factory.

I know that many unions in the past years have become corrupt. Power breeds corruption. Look at congress. However, Kohler NOW is a wonderful and safe place to work. But it took the union and a seven year strike to make it so. It was men like my Dad who fought for healthy and safe conditions. Silicosis no longer is a fear if one works at Kohler. Many other issues were also solved. Because of the union and these brave men.

I hope your Christmas was wonderful. We saw a Happy Birthday Jesus sign on the way to Bobbie's house today. It reminded me that when the boys were little, I would bake a birthday cake for Jesus on Christmas and we would light the candles and sing Happy Birthday.

SO. Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday Dear Jesus
Happy Birthday to You




Love

Mary

No comments: