Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Chelsea and I had a lovely walk this morning. It was less than 30 degrees but there was no wind AND she let me sleep until ten to seven so it was starting to get light which is a real pleasure at this time of the year.

When we got home, I turned on the news and found that Gerald Ford had passed away last night. A sad time because it is always sad to hear of a death. But he was 93 years old and certainly left a mark on our nation. As the only unelected president he supplied a steadying hand and a sense of calm after the bitter end of Nixon's time in office and resignation.

Then Dick and I went to the Clinic to get his legs wrapped. They were starting to swell again so it was a good thing. Dr. Phelan was there so we got his opinion. He says if they are starting to swell before the month that we have been using for a gauge we should call and get them wrapped sooner. I can cut the bandages off on Saturday.

Right after lunch, I picked up Mother and took HER to the Clinic where we found out that, in addition to the urine test, she was supposed to have fasted and have a blood test also. The blood test had actually been scheduled for the end of November but with the bladder infection and all we forgot about it. SO I will pick her up at 9:30AM and we will try again.

The rest of the day was very quiet. Tonight there are two episodes of Bones, one of my favorite shows so I will watch one downstairs while I quilt and the other in the living room on the big TV. Dick doesn't like it. Boy do we have a lot of TVS.

When we came back through town, Mother was remembering years ago when a tanning salon went into business in Falls. Dad came home one day and told Mom that the boys could now take their deer hides right downtown for tanning. He was sure surprised when he found out what a tanning salon was.

When I was a little girl, I must have been maybe eight or nine, I used to walk to morning Mass during the week and join my Grandma Deeley who lived just across the street in the house that Randy and Donna now own. Then we would walk over to Grandma's house and she and I would have breakfast of cheese and bread. She introduced me to all kinds of cheeses. Aunt Helen would not let her give me limberger though. I also remember that Grandpa Deeley would usually get up and come in while we were having breakfast. He would always go to Grandma and nuzzle her one the cheek and start smooching. She would smile really coyly and say, "Now Mike, Mary is here." Then Grandpa would go into the pantry and pour himself a shot of whiskey. Just one. But he had one each morning. I think it kept him healthy.

Have a nice Thursday..

Mary

No comments: