Friday, August 18, 2006

Well, I think we have the house all spic and span for the open house on Sunday. That way, Dick can just relax tomorrow and Bobbie and Bill are coming to get him and the critters at about 11:30AM Sunday so the open house can be held successfully.

I cleaned the kitchen and took several boxes out to the garage and generally picked up and put away. This noon, I went to Plymouth, via Sheboygan Falls, stopping at Wingert's for corn. Dick and I had that fresh corn with tomatoes for supper.

Next was Blattner's Piggly Wiggly where I picked up some paper plates to carry my bakery to the Contest at Irish Fest. I am entering Lavender Scones and Irish Brown Bread in the Baking Contest. While at the Pig, I ran into Jean and John Blattner. Hadn't seen them for a while, so had a bit of a visit. Then on to Plymouth where I cashed a check and picked up the rest of my books. I am really rather proud of it. It is called Fragments, I think I mentioned that. I will be selling it at the Celtic Faire and the Historical Research Center and where ever else I can. I figure can price it at $6. Lastly, I met Marlene, Betty, Ceil and Barb at the Dairy Queen for lunch. Soon, that will be a REALLY short trip.

This afternoon, I baked the scones and I mixed the day ingredients for the Brown Bread. I want that to be super fresh for the contest.

I will be leaving her at about 9 to get to Suzi and Hazel's so that Suzi and I can get there by 11:30 or 12:00. It is going to be a great two days.

I think I gave you my Brown Bread Recipe before, but here it is anyway.

IRISH BROWN BREAD
2 cups wheat flour
2 cups white flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tbs.. white sugar
2 tbs.. brown sugar
2 cups buttermilk (in a pinch you can sour milk by putting a tsp. of lemon juice or vinegar in it and letting it set for a bit but buttermilk is best.)

Sieve the dry ingredients into a large bow. Scoop up handfuls of the dry ingredients and allow to drop back into the bowl to aerate the mixture. (Very Important!)

Add enough buttermilk to make a soft dough. Work quickly as the buttermilk and soda are working. Knead the dough lightly. Keep flouring hand to keep dough from sticking. Too much kneading will toughen, too little it won’t rise.

Form a round loaf about as thick as your fist. Place on a lightly floured baking sheet or stone and cut a cross across the top with a floured knife.
Bake at the top of a preheated oven. 450 Degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. The loaf will sound hollow when rapped on the bottom. Wrap immediately in a clean tea towel to stop the crust from hardening.


Love

Mary

Remember, you won't hear from me again until Sunday.

No comments: