Sunday, August 13, 2006

It was supposed to get up to 80+ degrees today. But thank heaven the forecasters were wrong. It was beautiful - not over 74 with slightly overcast skies. Mother and I got there about 12:15 or so. We went right after the 10:30AM Mass. There was a nice crowd. Mother got to talk to several family members of families that she grew up with. She was baptized in St. Michael's in 1916.

Ken and Dolores always come, of course, since this started as an O'Reilly reunion and Ken's mother was an O'Reilly. Kurt, Jody and the boys, Brandon and Evan came too. Kurt is interested in family geneology and was delighted to have Mother walk around the cemetary and point out the gravestones and tell about the various family members involved. I think that I have mentioned the Bowser stone over four children that died between December 1859 and June 27, 1860. One, Sarah, an infant in the dead of winter and three in June of a summer fever, I think typhoid but am not totally possitive. I know that my Great Grandfather Joe Bowser had to help his Dad bury the children because the neighbors were afraid to come close because of danger of infection. They would come to the drive and inquire and leave food or any requests but could not help. It must have been awful. To lose three children and not be able to get comforted physically by your friends and neighbors. It must have been almost as difficult not to go and comfort your friend.

Anyway. Today was a joyous day. We had a good meal. Lots of good company. I added a picture below of Mother, Dolores and myself. It is from last year, but at our ages we don't change much. When I download today's pictures, I will put a picture of St. Michael's on for you. It is a charming little church.

Hope your day was as pleasant.

We had the first couple come through the house today. It has begun.

Love

Mary

No comments: