Friday, May 19, 2006

It was a rather lovely day today, albiet a bit chilly. We started out this morning by going to the Johnston Bakery for a donut and coffee (actually, I had some tea.) It reminded me of when the boys were little. We lived in Santa Ana Heights, just above the Newport Back Bay in California. A point of interest. This Back Bay is the only remaining estuary in Southern California. And estuary is a body of water where salt and sea water come together.

Every morning the "Donut Man" drove through the neighborhood. My neighbor, Joyce and I would buy donuts for breakfast for us and the kids. The kids were mine - Bret and Bart and hers - Chip and Mark. Those neighborhood bread trucks don't exist any more, I guess. We had an ice cream man too and I even had milk delivered for several years. I guess that those services are no longer profitable, though I did see an ice cream truck a couple of years ago. I miss the Donut Man.

Then I cleaned the kitchen and we watched one of the "camp" horror movies that Dick bought for me last Christmas. We have been working our way through them over the past month or so. Today we watched "The Giant Gila Monster". There was an actress called Stormy Meadows in it. We looked on the net and that is the ONLY movie she ever appeared in.

We went out for lunch too. I have some 2 for 1 coupons for Subway, so we decided to take advantage of that and then drove around looking at some of the condo complexes in the area. Jim and Michelle arrived shortly after we got home.

I went to Superior Gardens and got my herbs. I picked up a couple of Rosemary, Basil and some parsley.

Bobbie and I worked at Rhine tonight. It was pretty quiet as it was the last day of league and most of the teams are done. Next week is the bust up. I guess that Sara is fixing turkey for sandwiches. Jim and Michelle came out so that Jim could finish his last two targets for league. Michelle shot one target and got a 62. She seems to be a whiz.

I have been so looking forward to the DaVinci Code movie and now all the reviews are saying that it is really rather boring and a disappointment. I probably won't want to pay to see it now. The book is an exciting mystery and very well written. The movie is being described as tedious.

No comments: