Saturday, December 17, 2005

I did not have to go anywhere at all today. I know I told you that yesterday but usually something happens that makes me have to leave the house for something or other. The farthest I got today was the mailbox.

I did more decorating of the tree today. I hope to finish that tomorrow. I put away a lot of the everyday decorations too so I can put up the other Chrismas decorations.

Bart called to tell me that the truck with their stuff had arrived and was ALL unloaded. How nice that they have their possessions all in one place again. Mother had commented that she could see things there that MUST mean something to Barb and how she must want them with her - even if she didn't NEED them necessarily. Why do we get so attached to things. Probably because of the memories attached to them. I get all comforted putting the ornaments on the tree. MOST of them have a memory attached to them. Some go back to when Bret and Bart were babies and many to the early days of Dick and my marriage. Many are gifts. I cannot bear to toss any of them, even the "Paddy's Pig" that has his curly tail broken off. I just put the damaged side against the tree.

The meatloaf was super. For several years, I have used breadcrumbs made of all the pieces of leftover bread I have all dried up and mixed with a little butter and garlic. They are fresher. If I don't have dried bread, I just dry some hamburger or hot dog buns, buttered and garliced and dried in a very low oven. I fixed corn mixed with sauteed onion and peppers too.

Dick and I filtered the currant wine today - twice. Tomorrow we can bottle it. We should get 17 bottles. It does not taste too raw now, but we will let it mature for a full year because we have learned that the currant does benefit from aging.

From Highlighted in Yellow by H. Jackson Brown and Rochelle Pennington

Leave a quarter where a child can find it.
Skip a meal and give what you would have spent to a street person.
Offer to pay for parking and tolls when you ride with someone.
Buy whatever kids are selling on card tables in their front yards.
Make a generous contribution to diabetes research.


Look outside yourself and bring pleasure to children. Such a good idea that should spread beyond the Christmas (yes, I said Christmas - not Holiday) season.

Be happy

Mary

No comments: