Sunday, August 21, 2005

The past two days were a real adventure for me. I saw SO many people that I only get to see at these events. A big surprise was that The Green Fields of America had a reunion of some sort and both Jimmy and Robbie were there. I have pictures. I didn't know until today or I might have gone to see them both days. Probably just as good as then I would have missed Barley Bree. This is the first time THEY had appeared together for 12 years and they still sound great.

Tom Sweeney of Barley Bree was invited to the White House by Clinton to sing his Anthem for the Children. Quite fun for him. He described being picked up in a limo and traveling on an Airforce plane. He was letting us know how our tax money is or at least was being spent.

Suzi, Dick's niece, went with me on Saturday. This was her introduction to the Irish. She seemed to like it all and bought a Gaelic Storm CD. We watched Liam Clancy and went to the back of the tent where I was able to catch up with him and FINALLY tell him how much I enjoyed his book. The last time he was there was the year after 9/11 and the security was tough. The guards got so nasty I just forgot about it.

I was also able to connect with Cindy Matyi, the Celtic artist from Cincinati, and Maureen Smith from Chicago. Saw several people from Sheboygan County including Steve Naffin, our previous choir director and Bob Flemming, Sheboygan's Celtic artist.

Altogether a very satisfying two days.

Hazel, Dick's sister, stayed home. She is about Mom's age and feels about the same way Mom does about those events. She knows she would like it but would just get too tired. We had time to visit however and she is doing very well. They have a very shy kitty. I slept in Hazel's bed and during the night, I think Kitty (her real name) forgot herself and thought Hazel was there. I felt kitty feet on me. I didn't think too much about it until they left right away without waiting for a cuddle. She realized that I was not Hazel and I realized that I was not home.

Have a great week.

Mary

No comments: