Saturday, July 16, 2005

Another hot day and it is supposed to be hotter tomorrow.

We cleaned the basement today. It took much less work than we all thought it would and we were done in about an hour and a half. But we did it so Dick took us out for dinner. I was glad because the morning was really busy. We filtered the Gewertziminer wine and I had to iron. Ironing is always a bigger chore in the summer when it is hottest because the clothers one wears in the summer are always somewhat in need of pressing.

The new Harry Potter book arrived today AS PROMISED. I have started reading it and am having lots of trouble putting it down. It was lovely outside so I read on the deck after we got back from dinner. Dick came out for the last half hour or so. I thought it was really comfortable but he seemed to think it was still too warm.

When I was a little girl, we lived on a gravel dead end road that is now Pinehurst Ct. in Sheboygan Falls and is no longer a dead end. We lived on the corner. There was a little pigtail road that went between our house and the one across the street with one little house in back or us. Beyond that was a woods. It seemed like a big woods to us and we played all kinds of games in it when the mosquitos were not around. It also had a pathrunning though it that was a nice short cut to get to school.

In the woods was a tree that we called the Tarzan tree. You could climb that tree, grab a vine and swing to the next tree. One day I grabbed the vine and swung and the vine broke. I landed on my solar plexus and knocked the wind right out of myself. That is one of the most terrifying feelings in the world. My friends were trying to help but all they could do was support me and try to get me home. It is the kind of thing that is scary and painful and you cannot get in a full breath, but when the muscle unspasms your are immediately OK. So by the time we got home I was fine again. It is amazing how vivid that memory is, even now probably fifty five years or more later.

That wonderful woods has been mostly cut down and homes are on the land instead of trees. No Tarzan tree for the kids today.

Love

Mary

No comments: